Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling high gravity beers  (Read 3204 times)

Offline EVANGABE

• 1st Kit
Bottling high gravity beers
« on: August 14, 2018, 02:34:19 pm »
A couple of years ago I bottled a barleywine. It did not carbonate as much as I would like. I now have an imperial stout that's been in the secondary for a couple of months and I want to bottle it. I'm concerned about There not being enough yeast remaining in order to carbonate the beer. I would like some recommendations as how to ensure that I have a decent carbonation level. I used White Labs 001 for the fermentation n I thought maybe about dehydrating a Safale 005 n adding it to the beer before bottling. Thanks. Jeff from Rehoboth Beach.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Bottling high gravity beers
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 02:53:41 pm »
A few granules of US-05 per bottle works great. Not much worry about contamination with the high alcohol level. Just wash and rinse your hands well, dip them in Starsan and let them air dry before distributing a pinch of yeast into several bottles. 3 or 4 -------- 6 to 8 granules, doesn't make a bunch of difference.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 03:00:25 pm »
I've been bottling every batch for 19 years.  A little fresh yeast is all that needed.  Don't even need a whole pack.  I wouldn't add some to every bottle, just a little to the whole batch.  A day or two before bottling, I would add like 1/4 pack of yeast per 5 gallons directly to the fermenter, no rehydration necessary.  Then monitor to ensure fermentation doesn't take off again -- if it does, you'll want to leave it alone until inactive again.  If all seems calm, then go ahead and bottle.  This will be enough yeast to carbonate your bottles for you.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 08:53:15 pm »
I have a similar question to this process because I have only repitched yeast once for a bottling run.

The carbonation you get is more a function of how much sugar is present in the beer?

I don’t want yeasty beer because I repitched yeast, but a few grains seems more ideal than not repitching (or using a whole pack of bottle conditioning yeart). I’ve had low gravity beers come out under/uncarbed (Brett’s and sours) because they sat in secondary for 6 months.

So even a little yeast is better than none I guess is my answer. And just keep the sugar the same?
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 04:23:19 am »
I'm having great luck leg conditioning and beerguning to bottles

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 05:06:20 am »
I have a similar question to this process because I have only repitched yeast once for a bottling run.

The carbonation you get is more a function of how much sugar is present in the beer?

I don’t want yeasty beer because I repitched yeast, but a few grains seems more ideal than not repitching (or using a whole pack of bottle conditioning yeart). I’ve had low gravity beers come out under/uncarbed (Brett’s and sours) because they sat in secondary for 6 months.

So even a little yeast is better than none I guess is my answer. And just keep the sugar the same?

Yes and yes.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 09:52:26 am »
Reyeasting beer is an easy way to get healthy yeast back into the beer for carbonation. You can add yeast in the bottling bucket as you're siphoning so the cells mix into the beer or you can add a little to each bottle. On a bottle-by-bottle addition you really only need a few (literally like five) granules of dry yeast per bottle. They will find your sugar and do their thing.

If you have slurry from a recent batch you can add a little to the bottling bucket instead of buying dry yeast. This is a situation where doing the old yeast rinsing process might be useful if you have a lot of trub mixed in with the yeast. But again, you need very little. A teaspoon of slurry is more than enough.

The important consideration is that the yeast you add are viable and capable of fermenting in that beer. With high gravity beers you need to use a yeast that has alcohol tolerance above the ABV of your beer. Many yeast easily go above manufacturer tolerance listings but I always try to stay within the listed tolerance for bottle conditioning. You're adding yeast to a hostile environment rather than dropping them off in a giant buffet of sugar. If the ABV is particularly high consider a champagne yeast for bottling. They will consume the available simple sugars without flavor contribution and have a high alcohol tolerance.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 10:05:26 am »

I put 1/2-1 tsp. of dry yeast in the bottling bucket for high grav beers.  And yes, keep the sugar the same.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell