Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermcap  (Read 2074 times)

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Fermcap
« on: August 11, 2018, 07:30:19 pm »
Does anyone have any reviews of this product? Mainly I am trying not to blow off so much liquid volume during fermentation.

Is that more a product of not leaving head space? Or?
I use 5 gallon carboys and fill them to the top ring of glass. Then I use blow off values that go into a half gallon glass jar, filled about 1/4 way.

I guess it depends on the yeast strain but last two fermentation’s have ended up filling the remainder of the glass jar and still blow off more than that, so I make a mess.

Any recommendations? Or try fermcap? Looking for other methods.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fermcap
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 08:02:45 pm »
You just need a bigger fermenter.  Headspace 33% of wort volume is reasonable.  If you're into the carboy thing, a 6.5 gal could do it; the crap will stick to the shoulders and not fall back into the beer.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

Fermcap
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 08:25:10 pm »
I have no experience with that product.

As an alternative to using it you could:

a) use a bigger fermenter (as recommended above),

b) use it as an opportunity to split the batch into your current and another smaller fermenter which could allow you to try different techniques (i.e. dry hop one with hop A but not the other or with hop B), use different yeasts, ferment at different temps, etc, or...

c) ferment less wort in your current setup.

As a data point, I use a 7 gal fermenter for my 5.5 gal wort vol so I get near as possible to 5 gal beer in a keg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline WhiteHausBrews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 12:22:35 am »
As mentioned above I also use a 7.5G for 5.5G batches and even then I've still had one blow off :-p

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 01:21:42 am »
I used to fill my 5s less, to like 4.5gal. But then I measured out how much 5 gallons was so I started filling the boys to there. I don’t really want to get different carboys, though I’ve been eyeing the SS brew bucket and if so probably start doing secondary ferments in the case that I bought one.

No comments on fermcap? I’m just curious as to the actual reduction in blow off I might see.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 04:08:50 am »
I've never used Fermcap in my fermenter but I have used it when making yeast starters. It works as advertised.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 05:36:06 am »
I use Fermcap-S when boiling starters and in the fermenter with good results. I have had one blow off since starting to use it. The brew just prior to that had a lot more krausen than expected as well. I surmised that the Fermcap had gotten old and was no longer effective. Sure enough, got a fresh bottle and haven't had a problem since.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 09:05:11 am »
I add a couple of drops to my kettle to prevent boil-overs.  It doesn’t seem to carry over into the fermenters and I usually have enough head space to keep from making a big mess.  I think it would work fine though.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 10:45:53 am »
Fermcap works great. I used to use it in my fermentors before moving to fermenting in kegs, and it works well. I still use it in my boil kettle for every batch. It won't eliminate krausen, but it will reduce the amount so something like a hefe may be less likely to blow off.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 10:59:02 am »
I’ve never had a boil over so there’s that. I think I’d try it in a starter though based on he comments. But lately, those imperial yeast packs have plenty of yeast, so unless I’m trying to build up some dregs I don’t know when I’d ever use it. Who knows. Maybe I’ll spin to win soon enough.

I’ve only fermented in a keg once and it wasn’t the greatest experience. Maybe because a bunch of hop matter clogged my gas post.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 11:14:41 am »
I used to use it, but I stopped fro two reasons.  First, I found I really don't need it.  For starters, I make a qt. of wort in a 6 qt. pot, so no danger of boilovers.  In the kettle, I spray the foam down if necessary.  I use big enough fermenters that my blowoff is minimal, if any.  Second, there is a slight possibility of negative health effects.  Even though slight, I have enough health issues already to not make me want to chance any others.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell