Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hibernation Old Ale now with Recipe  (Read 11019 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Hibernation Old Ale now with Recipe
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:15:55 am »
I can't believe I'm going to put up a noob type  :D  post like this, but:

Anybody have a tried and true recipe/clone of Hibernation Ale by Great Divide?  I had my first ever bottle this week and was just floored by it - what an excellent beer. Wow.

Any help in this direction would be great.

I do have, and have made a few times, a recipe for Old Jubilation (Avery Brewing) direct from Adam, but that is an entirely different beer IMO.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 07:21:03 am by blatz »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline blatz

Re: Hibernation Old Ale
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 04:25:28 pm »
well, after digging around a little on the internet, I came up relatively empty handed.  so I pieced some data points together and came up with the following.  Hops are a little 'grab-bag' ish since I rarely keep anything limey on hand, its all big american hops if you recall most of my posts.  Anyways thoughts on this:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Olde Blatz
Brewer: Paul Blatz
Asst Brewer:
Style: Old Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.50 gal     
Boil Size: 7.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.077 SG
Estimated Color: 19.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount       Item                                         Type        % or IBU     
8.00 lb      Pale Malt, Maris Otter (2.2 SRM)             Grain       40.00 %     
8.00 lb      Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                        Grain       40.00 %     
1.50 lb      Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                       Grain       7.50 %       
1.00 lb      Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)                        Grain       5.00 %       
0.75 lb      Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)        Grain       3.75 %       
0.50 lb      Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)                      Grain       2.50 %       
0.25 lb      Chocolate Malt (400.0 SRM)                   Grain       1.25 %       
1.00 oz      Williamette [5.50 %]  (Dry Hop 14 days)      Hops         -           
1.20 oz      Citra [10.50 %]  (60 min)                    Hops        26.1 IBU     
1.00 oz      Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %]  (15 min)       Hops        5.1 IBU     
1.00 oz      Williamette [5.50 %]  (15 min)               Hops        5.7 IBU     
1 Pkgs       Yorkshire Square Ale Yeast                   Yeast-Ale               

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 20.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 28.92 qt of water at 165.5 F    155.0 F

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hibernation Old Ale now with Recipe
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:39:47 am »
I'd drink it!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 09:44:45 am »
I bet the citra hops won you over!

Offline blatz

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 09:52:27 am »

I assume that's similar to "it doesn't suck"  ;D

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 09:54:35 am »

+1

Looks very nice!

I would do a long secondary.  8)
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 10:10:22 am »

I assume that's similar to "it doesn't suck"  ;D

Yeah, but it's pre-itdoesn'tsuck, since I can't taste the beer til it's done!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:15:00 am »

how long do you recommend?  I was thinking 3-4 week primary (however long it takes) then a 3 month secondary, throwing the dryhops in the last 2 weeks and then bottle.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 10:26:52 am »

how long do you recommend?  I was thinking 3-4 week primary (however long it takes) then a 3 month secondary, throwing the dryhops in the last 2 weeks and then bottle.

3 months would be good.
Ron Price

Offline blatz

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 08:02:58 am »
well, I brewed this yesterday after completing my barleywine/ESB partigyle.  I don't know that I will be tagging together essentially 3- brews like that again - I am beat tired today. 

anyhow, I don't know how I did this, but I ended up screwing up and adding a half gallon too much at some point to the sparge and wound up collecting almost 8.5gal.  So I ended up 1.071 instead of 77 so I guess I'll end up around 7% instead of 7.5-8%. Eh, I don't really like the really boozy beers as much anyway, maybe this was meant to happen...

However, the mash and boiling wort smelled absolutely fantastic, exactly what I was looking for - I have high hopes for this one later in the year.

Offline kristian1987

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 05:40:53 am »
well, I brewed this yesterday after completing my barleywine/ESB partigyle.  I don't know that I will be tagging together essentially 3- brews like that again - I am beat tired today. 

anyhow, I don't know how I did this, but I ended up screwing up and adding a half gallon too much at some point to the sparge and wound up collecting almost 8.5gal.  So I ended up 1.071 instead of 77 so I guess I'll end up around 7% instead of 7.5-8%. Eh, I don't really like the really boozy beers as much anyway, maybe this was meant to happen...

However, the mash and boiling wort smelled absolutely fantastic, exactly what I was looking for - I have high hopes for this one later in the year.

Hi,

It's been a long time since 2009. I am currently on the same quest of cloning the Great Divide Hibernation ale. I was wondering how far you got in your attempts?

Here's my latest educated guess, 5 gallon batch:

Malt grist:
58% pale malt,, 4,4kg
10,66% Vienna malt, 0,81kg
10,66% wheat malt, 0,81kg
7,6% Caramel/Crystal malt - 60L, 0,58kg
6,66% Oats, flaked, 0,51kg
3,3% chocolate malt, 0,25kg
3% brown malt, 0,23kg

OG1089
Alc: 8,6%
51,6 EBC

Hops:
60 min 31g Magnum 36 IBU
15 min 28g East Kent Goldings 6,9 IBU
5 min 20gTettnang 1,3 IBU
1 min 15g Amarillo 0,6 IBU
Dry hop 10 days 30g Tettnang
Dry hop 5 days 30g Amarillo

Total IBU: 47,1

Yeast: Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

I have not brewed any attempts at Hibernation ale yet, nor have I tasted the actual commercial beer, but I have mapped the different clones on the web, checking percentages of composition and crosschecking with taste notes from beeradvocate and the others. It's fun to do.

Regards from Norway,

Kristian
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 05:43:49 am by kristian1987 »

Offline blatz

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 07:41:32 am »

Hi,

It's been a long time since 2009. I am currently on the same quest of cloning the Great Divide Hibernation ale. I was wondering how far you got in your attempts?

Here's my latest educated guess, 5 gallon batch:

Malt grist:
58% pale malt,, 4,4kg
10,66% Vienna malt, 0,81kg
10,66% wheat malt, 0,81kg
7,6% Caramel/Crystal malt - 60L, 0,58kg
6,66% Oats, flaked, 0,51kg
3,3% chocolate malt, 0,25kg
3% brown malt, 0,23kg

OG1089
Alc: 8,6%
51,6 EBC

Hops:
60 min 31g Magnum 36 IBU
15 min 28g East Kent Goldings 6,9 IBU
5 min 20gTettnang 1,3 IBU
1 min 15g Amarillo 0,6 IBU
Dry hop 10 days 30g Tettnang
Dry hop 5 days 30g Amarillo

Total IBU: 47,1

Yeast: Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

I have not brewed any attempts at Hibernation ale yet, nor have I tasted the actual commercial beer, but I have mapped the different clones on the web, checking percentages of composition and crosschecking with taste notes from beeradvocate and the others. It's fun to do.

Regards from Norway,

Kristian

kristian

hello!  i only brewed the one batch of this, but it was pretty damned tasty and fairly close to the real deal.  I think your recipe will get you close, but I would use WY1272 and not the scottish ale yeast, as i believe 1272 is close to what GD uses.