Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite Beer Drinking Scene  (Read 3956 times)

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Favorite Beer Drinking Scene
« on: August 15, 2018, 05:44:35 pm »
My favorite beer drinking scene in a movie is the roof beer drinking scene in “Shawshank Redemption”. After a long day’s work outside (I am a land surveyor). I enjoy coming home and drinking a “icy cold bohemian style beer” along with the other “jimmies”. “We sat and drank with the sun on our shoulders and felt like free men… We were lords of all creation.”
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Favorite Beer Drinking Scene
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 06:01:15 pm »
I worked on a geological surveying crew for a couple of Summers in the northern California foothills (Mother Lode). The boss always brought Rainier for the end of the day. I seldom choked one down. Nasty stuff! After a day in the 100+ temps, I was happy to get home and jump in a cold shower.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 08:14:02 pm »
A remote Montana stream all alone but with Morgan Freeman narrating

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 08:59:30 pm »
Great topic--as for films, I'll have to think a bit more, but one of my real-life favorite drinking scenes is in winter, around the holidays, sitting at our kitchen table in the afternoon, with the low light coming through the window behind me, warming my shoulders as I drink, say, a porter, and look through seed catalogs for next year's garden, one of my kids every so often be-bopping in to say something. I'm in heaven as long as this "scene" lasts, but soon enough responsibilities take over again....
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 09:04:48 pm »
Fight club. Before the first fight when Edward Norton needs a place to stay. They finish drinking on a curb.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 10:23:15 pm »
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

It's really just one scene, but it lasts for about 12 seasons.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 05:54:23 am »
My favorite beer drinking scene in a movie is the roof beer drinking scene in “Shawshank Redemption”. After a long day’s work outside (I am a land surveyor). I enjoy coming home and drinking a “icy cold bohemian style beer” along with the other “jimmies”. “We sat and drank with the sun on our shoulders and felt like free men… We were lords of all creation.”

I honestly never really gave it that much thought.  That's a great scene and probably one of the few that portrays drinking as pleasurable and relaxing, as opposed to movies like the Hangover, Knocked Up, etc where people are just getting F'd up.  Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how much I remember of movie/show characters drinking beer.  Often seems to be wine or hard liquor (which is probably easier to fake with just colored water, apple juice/grape juice etc). 

There was a story floating around about the fake beer brands that are in movies and TV.  There's one prop house that has made up several "brands" some that get used in multiple shows.  They peel off labels of O'douls or some other NA beer and then apply new labels.. so when characters open it on screen it has the right hiss and fizz (On shows like How I Met Your Mother they just crack open and drink out of the bottle).  On the flip side of that, I remember seeing the Kirkland brand beer at Costco one time and cracking up because it was just silver cans that said "LITE BEER" and that's it.  Made me think of "this is what people drink on TV when they don't want to pay for the rights to a real brand".
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline billski48

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 06:46:51 pm »
I like when they drink and cook with craft beer on “The Kitchen”, a show on Food Network channel.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 07:16:13 pm »
Cheers.  I mean "Cheers," the sitcom.

Diane comes in out of a Boston blizzard.  How can you drink cold beer in this weather, she asks the guys.

Cliff launches into a dissertation on how the British, out in India in the days of the Raj, drank hot tea in the heat of the day, thereby equalizing their internal temperature with the environment and making it more comfortable....

Alright, asks Diane, so why do you drink cold beer in the Summer then?

Norm:  "What else you gonna do with it?"
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 05:40:01 am »
I’m an old timer and I can remember watching the Jackie Gleason show.  In many of the shows, Gleason portrays a bar tender and each time he poured a glass of beer he would have to stick his fingers in the glass to keep it from roaming over.  He was a very funny man.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 09:45:35 am »
Lord of the Rings Return of the King - Extended Edition.  The drinking contest between Legolas and Gimli.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 07:54:57 am »
Lord of the Rings Return of the King - Extended Edition.  The drinking contest between Legolas and Gimli.

It comes in Pints?!? (Sorry I had to...)
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 01:59:57 pm »

I'm getting one. 

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 03:49:23 pm »
My favorite scene is from the John Sayles movie, Brother from another Planet. Two alien detectives hunting down the fugitive alien go into a bar and order two beers -- on the rocks.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 07:07:39 pm »

I'm getting one. 

Yeah, that one is pretty good too  ;D