Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: YHC "American Noble Hops"  (Read 4923 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
YHC "American Noble Hops"
« on: August 17, 2018, 07:34:11 am »
Have you all been seeing these yet? They were previously known as "debittered leaf" and according to the YHC sales man they have a plethora of them. Apparently this is a byproduct of the cryohop process.

I have several ounces on samples so I will play around with them but seems a little bit like a desperate attempt at a gimmick to me. Keep in mind these "American Noble Hops" are Simcoe, Amarillo, Mosaic, Cascade, etc. Not Crystal, Sterling, etc.

The sales guy I was talking too was encouraging me to make them into lagers. Then he was saying some breweries are playing around with adding them to the late boil and adding the cryo to dry hop. Which just struck me as a little odd since they went to all that trouble to separate them.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: YHC "American Noble Hops"
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:38:28 am »
Have you all been seeing these yet? They were previously known as "debittered leaf" and according to the YHC sales man they have a plethora of them. Apparently this is a byproduct of the cryohop process.

I have several ounces on samples so I will play around with them but seems a little bit like a desperate attempt at a gimmick to me. Keep in mind these "American Noble Hops" are Simcoe, Amarillo, Mosaic, Cascade, etc. Not Crystal, Sterling, etc.

The sales guy I was talking too was encouraging me to make them into lagers. Then he was saying some breweries are playing around with adding them to the late boil and adding the cryo to dry hop. Which just struck me as a little odd since they went to all that trouble to separate them.
I have some samples of those as well and am not sure what to do with <2% aa hops.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 08:42:36 am »
Drew and I have been playing with them for the last year or so.  I use them in my American Mild.  Drew has made some stunning saisons with them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 09:37:13 am »
Well it sounds like they have been having a hard time selling them. I'm going to try them in some lager style beers. The aroma is interesting, it does kind of remind you of noble hobs.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:33:03 am »
It seems like they should produce a vegetal character. Maybe Denny can correct me, but aren't they a byproduct of cryohops? If cryohops is the lupulin powder, and the debittered leaf is the remainder, isn't there a significant vegetal matter:hop oil ratio?

From the press release:
Debittered Leaf is the concentrated bract of whole-leaf hops which has been separated from the lupulin glands. It is a high-quality, low-alpha product which retains variety-specific aroma and flavor characteristics and can be derived from any hop brand. The result is an enticing Northwest twist on traditional, low-alpha (noble) hops.

Is the debittered leaf pelletized like a normal hop cone afterwards? Similar to a T-90 pellet? Whats the difference between that and using much less of the normal pellets? I really just don't understand it as a product. For what its worth, I also can't seem to buy it from anywhere. Maybe they can't get retailers to buy into it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 01:42:50 pm »
Well it sounds like they have been having a hard time selling them. I'm going to try them in some lager style beers. The aroma is interesting, it does kind of remind you of noble hobs.

Actually, they just started pushing them about a month ago. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 01:44:51 pm »
It seems like they should produce a vegetal character. Maybe Denny can correct me, but aren't they a byproduct of cryohops? If cryohops is the lupulin powder, and the debittered leaf is the remainder, isn't there a significant vegetal matter:hop oil ratio?

From the press release:
Debittered Leaf is the concentrated bract of whole-leaf hops which has been separated from the lupulin glands. It is a high-quality, low-alpha product which retains variety-specific aroma and flavor characteristics and can be derived from any hop brand. The result is an enticing Northwest twist on traditional, low-alpha (noble) hops.

Is the debittered leaf pelletized like a normal hop cone afterwards? Similar to a T-90 pellet? Whats the difference between that and using much less of the normal pellets? I really just don't understand it as a product. For what its worth, I also can't seem to buy it from anywhere. Maybe they can't get retailers to buy into it.

There is no vegetal character from them.  Can't explain why, but there isn't.  Yes, they are pellets also.  The difference is that it has very little lupulin.  As I said, they just released them about the time of HBC.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 02:26:53 pm »

From the press release:

There is no vegetal character from them.  Can't explain why, but there isn't.  Yes, they are pellets also.  The difference is that it has very little lupulin.  As I said, they just released them about the time of HBC.
Can I dry hop my APA with them?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 07:17:03 am »

From the press release:

We got "debittered" Amarillo about a year ago at the brewery, and the "ANH" is now just a new brand name. We were disappointed by them but admit that we didn't know how to use them. To be fair I'm still not exactly sure how to use them. They seem like they should be used more as a flavor/aroma kettle addition as opposed to dry hop.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 08:55:44 am »

From the press release:

Can I dry hop my APA with them?

Sure, but it seems like it would take a buttload to get much aroma

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 08:57:50 am »

From the press release:

We got "debittered" Amarillo about a year ago at the brewery, and the "ANH" is now just a new brand name. We were disappointed by them but admit that we didn't know how to use them. To be fair I'm still not exactly sure how to use them. They seem like they should be used more as a flavor/aroma kettle addition as opposed to dry hop.

I tend to us3 them for low impact buttering as well as late in the boil for flavor.  I haven't tri3d dry hopping with them because that just doesn't seem like where they'd shine.  I don't know if Drew has dry hopped with them.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 03:41:52 pm »
I just read about and went over these with my lhbs and what we found out was that it’s basically a different practice of pelletization with the hop that is used and pelletized. The AA is much lower, but technically still has the same flavor and aroma.

https://d3b8rq9ztst8vv.cloudfront.net/docs/products/YCH-HOPS-Noble-Hops-Product-Overview.pdf?mtime=20180409100625
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 04:19:48 pm »
I just read about and went over these with my lhbs and what we found out was that it’s basically a different practice of pelletization with the hop that is used and pelletized. The AA is much lower, but technically still has the same flavor and aroma.

https://d3b8rq9ztst8vv.cloudfront.net/docs/products/YCH-HOPS-Noble-Hops-Product-Overview.pdf?mtime=20180409100625

Like I said it is a byproduct of the cryohop process. Don't let the marketing lingo fool you this is left over stuff that they are trying to figure out how to sell. That doesn't mean it isn't worth something.