Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: US-05 pale ale still has krausen after 15 days with slow small bubbles  (Read 5418 times)

Offline jFrode

• 1st Kit
Re: US-05 pale ale still has krausen after 15 days with slow small bubbles
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 07:30:07 am »
I had a spigot on the bucket, and just bottled from beneath the land rise of 05. As mentioned, others had seen the same with this yeast. The beer beneath was actually very clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 08:33:45 am »
Dry hopped?  Hops contain enzymes.  Look up "The Freshening Power of Hops" and "hop creep".

Yeah, and sugars, but it's a stretch to go there for this case.  All reports of those eff3cts involve KARGE amounts of dry hops
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 04:49:58 pm »
Dry hopped?  Hops contain enzymes.  Look up "The Freshening Power of Hops" and "hop creep".

Yeah, and sugars, but it's a stretch to go there for this case.  All reports of those eff3cts involve KARGE amounts of dry hops

My experience with my recent maibock with 0.67 oz Palisades as a dry hop:

5/28 1.062
6/3   1.019
6/25 1.019 stalled for 22 days!, added dry hops
7/3   1.017 fizzing again, racked to secondary
7/12 1.013 no more fizzing, bottled

Maybe that's a "KARGE" amount of hops, maybe not, I dunno, you be the judge.  That's my experience though.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 08:31:08 am »

My experience with my recent maibock with 0.67 oz Palisades as a dry hop:

5/28 1.062
6/3   1.019
6/25 1.019 stalled for 22 days!, added dry hops
7/3   1.017 fizzing again, racked to secondary
7/12 1.013 no more fizzing, bottled

Maybe that's a "KARGE" amount of hops, maybe not, I dunno, you be the judge.  That's my experience though.

I'd have to guess that's not enough hops to be the reason.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Brewbs

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 05:08:20 am »
I took a gravity sample and within minutes all the krausen dropped. Gravity was right where I expected it to be, racked to secondary. Sample tasted good.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 07:39:23 am »
I can almost guarantee that your beer has completed fermentation. Probably finished within the first four days.
In those instances where the krausen has stuck around (especially with US-O5) I would typically rack from underneath the krausen and package as you normally would.

My guess is the higher % of proteins from the considerable amount of rye that you used is leading to the "sticky" krausen. Be sure to take a gravity reading prior to packaging just to be sure your beer has properly attenuated.

THIS.  Everyone is telling you how to finish fermentation but it's likely already done.  Bubnnles don't tell you whether or not it's done.  Take a gravity reading.

A couple days late on catching up on this thread.  Denny has a good point, take a gravity reading.  It is most likely done but successive gravity readings if they don't change significantly will tell the story.

Just remembered that I also have had issues with S-05 where it doesn't flocculate after fementation is complete.  Your hydrometer will tell the story.  However, my earlier post is still valid.  If you raise the temperature, the beer will finish if it has not already done so.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 08:49:22 am »
I took a gravity sample and within minutes all the krausen dropped. Gravity was right where I expected it to be, racked to secondary. Sample tasted good.

It sounds like you dislodged the "pancake" when you took the gravity reading, and once detached it all fell down.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's