Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best grain mill available today.  (Read 6988 times)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Best grain mill available today.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 07:35:53 am »
I've been using an adjustable JSP for nearly 20 years.  It's still works perfectly after milling thousands of lb. of grain.  I don't think I'll ever need to buy another mill, but if I did, I'd buy the same thing again....https://www.amazon.com/Strange-Brew-Schmidling-Adjustable-Maltmill/dp/B0064OEVHE

Unfortunately, JSP is now out of business due to a fire that destroyed his shop.  I also have used his mill, the preset one, for many years and have been completely satisfied with it  However, it is now over 20 years old and I am going to replace it due, to worn rollers, probably with a Crankandstein which is a three roller mill that has all of the rollers gear driven.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline joelv

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 11:16:49 am »
I use a Barley Crusher and have put thousands of pounds through over many years.

When I have issues with rollers pulling grain through (annoying as heck), I find that disassembly, cleaning and lubricating get me back in working order for the next batch.

I think I’ve cleaned / lubricated it twice in about 10 years. The buildup of grain gunk seems to provide extra friction on the free-spinning roller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 12:16:18 pm »
I've been using an adjustable JSP for nearly 20 years.  It's still works perfectly after milling thousands of lb. of grain.  I don't think I'll ever need to buy another mill, but if I did, I'd buy the same thing again....https://www.amazon.com/Strange-Brew-Schmidling-Adjustable-Maltmill/dp/B0064OEVHE

Unfortunately, JSP is now out of business due to a fire that destroyed his shop.  I also have used his mill, the preset one, for many years and have been completely satisfied with it  However, it is now over 20 years old and I am going to replace it due, to worn rollers, probably with a Crankandstein which is a three roller mill that has all of the rollers gear driven.

What a shame!  Glad mine is still in good shape.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
Best grain mill available today.
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 03:44:35 pm »
That’s what I have and I really like it too. What do you use for a hopper?  I have an office sized waste paper basket attached to the top. Works well but doesn’t completely empty without moving the last bit into the hole manually.  I’ve been wondering what others use.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 04:28:18 pm »
That’s what I have and I really like it too. What do you use for a hopper?  I have an office sized waste paper basket attached to the top. Works well but doesn’t completely empty without moving the last bit into the hole manually.  I’ve been wondering what others use.

I use a Folgers can and scoop it in as it runs dry.  Four or five scoops and I’m done.

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 04:40:18 pm »

I bought the janky little hopper JSP made, added brackets to mount it securely on the mill body, and built out a 12" high box extension on top so it will hold a good 15 lbs.  The one good thing about the original JSP hopper was the little plastic flaps to funnel the grain toward the center of the rollers.  It was a quick and dirty build that has served very well.

PS Been looking a their website, and the Crankandstein mills Goose mentioned do have some attractive features.   On my radar now.   But the gear-driven models are way out of the price (and size and capacity) range I'd regard as homebrew territory.  Worth a look.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 06:30:19 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 06:45:08 pm »

I use a Folgers can and scoop it in as it runs dry.  Four or five scoops and I’m done.

Smart!

- formerly alestateyall.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 08:08:42 pm »
Here's mine.  Got a rolling cabinet to put the bucket in so as to keep the dust to a minimum.  A nice electric motor running slowly and a JSP adjustable with a Better Bottle hopper.  Works flawlessly.

Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 08:45:14 pm »
Nice. Any stability issues with the Better Bottle and loading grain into it?

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 07:00:20 am »

I bought the janky little hopper JSP made, added brackets to mount it securely on the mill body, and built out a 12" high box extension on top so it will hold a good 15 lbs.  The one good thing about the original JSP hopper was the little plastic flaps to funnel the grain toward the center of the rollers.  It was a quick and dirty build that has served very well.

PS Been looking a their website, and the Crankandstein mills Goose mentioned do have some attractive features.   On my radar now.   But the gear-driven models are way out of the price (and size and capacity) range I'd regard as homebrew territory.  Worth a look.

Ordered a Crankandstein yesterday.  Yeah a bit pricey for the 3 roller gear driven one, but I used one at the Bugnutty Brewery in Merrit Island, FL when we brewed a few beers together and liked how it worked.  Also got the hopper with it so I don't have to build one!!!!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 07:55:46 am »
Ordered a Crankandstein yesterday.  Yeah a bit pricey for the 3 roller gear driven one, but I used one at the Bugnutty Brewery in Merrit Island, FL when we brewed a few beers together and liked how it worked.  Also got the hopper with it so I don't have to build one!!!!
Goose, report back when you get it set up if you would.  I like the idea of the incremental adjustment on the gap and the three flats on the shaft, and it looks like the most solidly constructed mill out there. (I've heard mixed reviews on the Monster 3 roller.)  I can't really see how that base and hopper setup is configured, I'd like a "live" report on that and whether you like the gap adjustment.  (Think I would replace the JSP before it's completely dead IF I could confidently find the only mill I'll ever need again.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 07:58:44 am »
I too have heard many brewers comment that they have difficulty getting all three rollers to turn sometimes. I really like the fact that Crankandstein has a geared version that avoids that. That's the only way I'd move to a 3-roller unit.

PS: I have a MM 2 roller mill with 2 inch rollers and it performs very well. I wish there were a homebrew mill with even larger diameter rollers since that really does make a difference. Pro mills are typically in the 6 to 8 inch diameter range. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:01:24 am by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 08:06:31 am »
Nice. Any stability issues with the Better Bottle and loading grain into it?

None.  It shifts an inch or two but nothing more.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 09:08:10 am »
I have the cereal killer which is (I think) newer to the market than a lot of the mills talked about above. It is on the lower side of the market. It's a two roller mill and adjustable. Works great and happy with the milling. (I also have the corona-type mill I started with that I pull out when I need to mill a lot of unmalted wheat because you can pretty much grind that stuff to flour.)

The monster mill looks like a more durable build but closer to three times the price. If money played no role in decision-making I would get the MM3 or the three roller Crankenstein.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline LeeH

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 01:45:48 pm »
Thanks for everybody’s input. 

I will look at importing a monster mill or buy a barley crusher here in the U.K.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro