Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Nevada/ Weihenstephan Oktoberfest  (Read 3849 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Sierra Nevada/ Weihenstephan Oktoberfest
« on: August 20, 2018, 07:03:12 pm »
First O-fest I've tried this year, and, sad to say, it won't be my favorite one of the year.  It checks all the boxes.  There's really nothing wrong.  But that's it, like if Watson the computer wrote the perfect Mozart sonata.  Then again, it is a recipe from a brewing school.  Will still please a lot of people, "beer for drinking, not for thinking." 

(I rarely do get thrilled by SN's O-fests, but really liked last year's.  Anyone recall who the collaborator was?)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline tommymorris

Re: Sierra Nevada/ Weihenstephan Oktoberfest
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 08:34:12 pm »
Brauhaus Miltenberger was the  2017 collaborator.

Re: this year’s. It tastes fine. I am enjoying my 6-pack. But, I will say it is a bit boring compared to some prior years.

- formerly alestateyall.

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 08:48:00 pm »
Brauhaus Miltenberger was the  2017 collaborator.

Re: this year’s. It tastes fine. I am enjoying my 6-pack. But, I will say it is a bit boring compared to some prior years.

- formerly alestateyall.
Thanks for answering my question on last year, Tommy.  As for this year, yeah, boring is my only objection.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 05:14:24 am »
I think last year's was better also.
Dan Chisholm

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 05:15:53 am »
I cannot say I have ever tried the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest.  I happen to be a huge fan of the Sam Adams Oktoberfest.  In fact I have been working on a clone the past few years.  That said, I’ll try the SN Oktoberfest just as a point of exploration.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 06:18:01 am »
First O-fest I've tried this year, and, sad to say, it won't be my favorite one of the year.  It checks all the boxes.  There's really nothing wrong.  But that's it, like if Watson the computer wrote the perfect Mozart sonata.  Then again, it is a recipe from a brewing school.  Will still please a lot of people, "beer for drinking, not for thinking." 

(I rarely do get thrilled by SN's O-fests, but really liked last year's.  Anyone recall who the collaborator was?)

Miltenburger is know as Faust in Germany. That didn't appear on the label as ABInbev owns the beer trademark for Faust in the USA. AB used to make a beer labeled as Faust, and has kept that active. Beer trivia.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 06:56:29 am »
Miltenburger is know as Faust in Germany. That didn't appear on the label as ABInbev owns the beer trademark for Faust in the USA. AB used to make a beer labeled as Faust, and has kept that active. Beer trivia.
Now, that is appropriate; everything with ABInBev smacks of a deal with the Devil!   ;)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

The Beerery

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 07:54:51 am »
I tried it.
My impressions were as follows..

"So. My take on it.
It screams ‘Merica. It’s more bitter than it should be and the malt is muted. However, with that said it’s made really well. Not my cup o tea though. I prefer the real deal.
After my second. I think it’s got hints of “boozy” as well"

To me it takes like every other beer SN makes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as they made good beer. I just hate when American breweries try to make Marzens, ofest's, well any German styles really. Because they all fall short in the malt flavor, and overall harmonious balance of the beer. In the American beer the malt is never soft and fresh, and lingering as it should be, so it pushes the hops forward, and throws the balance out of whack. That is always what screams, "America's failed representation of German Beer" to me. You can use the same ingredients, but if you don't use the same process, the results are always going to be different.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 03:02:40 pm »
I'm the other side of the fence. I had three last night and found it delicious. Plan on at least another three today. Really got my juices flowing for O'fest beers this year.

I think it is quite malty. IMO everyone should stack it up against their favorite O'fest in a blind taste tests. Now to be fair what I am drinking was packaged on 07/23/18 and may have been made in NC as opposed to CA.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 05:23:44 pm »
I'm the other side of the fence. I had three last night and found it delicious. Plan on at least another three today. Really got my juices flowing for O'fest beers this year.

I think it is quite malty. IMO everyone should stack it up against their favorite O'fest in a blind taste tests. Now to be fair what I am drinking was packaged on 07/23/18 and may have been made in NC as opposed to CA.
I have to say that I liked it and it's much better than most American Oktoberfest beers (and I got it two weeks after packaging), but I REALLY liked last year's version.
Dan Chisholm

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 01:08:02 pm »

I got this instead.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 01:58:54 pm »
Just picked up a 6 pack of the SN.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 08:41:15 am »
It's looking like I'm not going to be trying this beer...when we finally got it on shelves here it was already 10 weeks past the packaging date.  >:(

On that note, we FINALLY got the Guinness Anniversary beer on shelves...you know, the one they brewed LAST FALL to celebrate 100 years of Guinness in America...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 01:00:37 pm »

Funny, I bought some yesterday as well.

I really liked it.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 01:46:12 pm »

Funny, I bought some yesterday as well.

I really liked it.

Yeah, it's a classic Maerzen style Ofest.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell