So was my first BIAB after 14 custom extract batches that were fairly successful. I lived in Colorado near Boulder and researched NEIPA's a good bit as a few breweries there were brewing great NEIPA's successfully that I loved (especially Weldworks which posted some recipe ideas that I followed).
After much research, I thought my recipe was solid but it didn't turn out anything like I expected. Like I said, it was my first BIAB batch so that's a new learning experience which may have changed/ruined part of the beer.
I tried the first bottle tonight and it was dry, bitter, astringent, not as aromatic as expected, not as flavorful as expected, much drier than expected, not hazy at all, much darker in color than expected. Here's a picture:
5# golden promise
1# flaked oats
.5# flaked barley
.25# honey malt
Strike temp 159 deg F. Probably a mistake but didn't wrap with blanket or anything, and dropped to 152F @ 45 mins and 145F @ 60 mins.
+4# Light Pils DME
El Dorado, Mosaic, Amarillo (equal parts)
.15oz each @ FWH
.85 each @ flameout
1oz each @ whirlpool below 185F for 30 mins
Dry hop 1 oz each at 48 hrs after pitch during fermentation
Dry hop 1 oz each for 5 days before bottling
4.5 gallon initial wort water volume and "sparged" by running 170F water over bag of grains in separate container to reach boil volume of about 6 gallons.
Water was gallon bottled spring water. Added 1/4 TBS gypsum into boil but didn't check the water profile. A brew shop I used to go to said to put some in for any IPA.
Yeast was WYeast 1318 from a 1L healthy starter with WYeast yeast nutrient.
Fermented in a glass carboy the entire time at around 69F. I cold crashed for 24 hrs in a chest freezer before bottling. Carbonation is perfect.
Didn't measure OG but FG read 1.006.