Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: resh hops  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Mdonuskanich

• 1st Kit
resh hops
« on: August 17, 2018, 02:28:33 pm »
I have a hop vine in my yard. This is the first year for flowers. It looks beautiful. When do I know when it`s time to harvest the flowers. Also what`s a good ratio of fresh hops to pellets?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: resh hops
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 02:41:39 pm »
It's getting close to harvest time for many.  I wait until most of mine have a little brown on them, and/or when they seem to fade from a glowing bright green to a dull yellow color.  They should also not feel moist or cool to the touch.  Anywhere in the upper half of the U.S., I think early September is probably a best bet if you're not sure when to harvest, while July and August are a little too early.  Elsewhere on the globe, I'm not sure.

If drying them, use about the same weight as pellets.  But since they are 80% water, if you do not dry them well then you need to use about 4.5 to 5 times as much as pellets.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
resh hops
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 05:14:26 pm »
I harvested mine today. Here’s a pretty good video demonstration on when to harvest. https://youtu.be/TlsT-x19III

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 06:26:44 am »
Thanks for the video! 

I was contacted by a friend who has hops in his yard and no use for them.  He wondered if I wanted them.  He sent some pictures of them and ddin't think they were ready yet and the video confirmed that.  They're big beautiful cascades.  Probably a couple weeks yet.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 08:18:43 pm »
Thanks for the video--just the sort of practical advice I've been looking for. The biggest challenge for me with growing hops has been harvesting them too early (usually) or too late. This year, rainy weather forced me to wait, and I'm glad I did--my Northern Brewer (dried, vacuum sealed) has a lot of aroma. I should have waited a bit more on the Perle, but next year I'll be more hip to the correct time. Now if somebody can just give me a few tips for how to get more cones from my East Kent Golding plant....
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale