Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: first batch down, now on to the next! (possible oktoberfest)  (Read 2299 times)

Offline birdman200

• 1st Kit
first batch down, now on to the next! (possible oktoberfest)
« on: August 11, 2010, 07:57:54 pm »
Okay, so I just did my first batch (all extract) and tried a bottle (day 10 of bottling).  It was a little watery, and not as carbonated as I would have liked.  Hopefully within a couple days both of those will change for the better.

With colder weather around the corner, I want to do an Oktoberfest beer.  I know that because it is a lager, it has to be climate controlled more (has to be in a colder environment).

How can I do this with lager yeast and simple brewing equipment?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: first batch down, now on to the next! (possible oktoberfest)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:21:58 pm »
the trick is keeping the fermentation cool. with simple equipment there is a great thread recently with pictures of swamp coolers.  fundamentaly, thow your fermenter in a tub of ice water and cover with towels.  you can even insulate the outside of the tub.  or wait till weather a little cooler.  white labs makes a yeast, i think it is 810, that is a sanfrancisco lager yeast.  it can be a little more forgiving if the temp gets a little high on accident.  i have used it in the past, not my favorite yet but useful
Don AHA member

Offline birdman200

• 1st Kit
Re: first batch down, now on to the next! (possible oktoberfest)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:35:00 pm »
do you know the link of where this thread is?