Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Repitching yeast on Odell Wheat recipe  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Jeff804

• 1st Kit
Repitching yeast on Odell Wheat recipe
« on: August 23, 2018, 01:01:57 pm »
I am a rookie brewer and I think my yeast was either expired or fell out of the acceptable temperature range.  From what I have read it looks like i can repitch the yeast within 7 days of brewing.  I am using dry yeast SafBrew WB-06.  Any insight as to the best way to approach this?  I am aware of rehydrating the yeast but wasn't sure if that is needed and/or acceptable given that I will be repitching.  Many thanks in advance!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Repitching yeast on Odell Wheat recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 02:19:10 pm »
Can't comment too much about your plan but I'm not sure that yeast would be the best choice for Easy Street.

EDIT- Have you taken a hydrometer reading? If it didn't ferment well you could always throw another packet of yeast in.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:56:21 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 02:23:06 pm »
Are you saying that you pitched a packet of dry yeast and didn't see any activity?  You may have missed it.  Why don't you take a hydrometer reading and see if anything happened before you add more.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Jeff804

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 08:05:16 am »
Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I am going to take a reading today to see where I'm at.  I never had a ton of bubbling activity but there was some.  Since today is day 5 after brewing I'll see if there has been a decent shift from my OG.  I'll post my readings here to see if I am on track.

Offline Jeff804

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 10:37:49 am »
Wow, I stand corrected.  My specific gravity reading was within the acceptable range so I guess I did miss it.  I really don't know how as an anxious first time brew I was keeping an eye on it pretty closely.  While I did hear gurbling and see some bubbling, I was expecting this massive show that blew my mind.  I highly doubt any gas was escaping my bucket as it is sealed on 4 sides.  Could it just be the strain of grain that might not have a high amount of activity?  Either way, this is super exciting!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 01:42:04 pm »
Don't trust an airlock.  You could have a lid leaking and the CO2 escaped unnoticed through the lid leak as the "path of least resistance".  Brew On!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"