Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Should the AHA Keep TechTalk?

Yes, it's a major part of what I pay my dues for.
177 (63.4%)
No, this forum more than replaces what TT provides.
85 (30.5%)
Pantless, not clueless.
12 (4.3%)
I'm not an AHA member.
5 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 276

Author Topic: Should the AHA Keep TechTalk?  (Read 25187 times)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Should the AHA Keep TechTalk?
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2010, 09:10:10 am »
And until you upgrade your browser, you can try just entering the URL directly.  Put...

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?action=unread

...into the address bar at the top of your browser and that should take you to the same place as clicking on the "unread" button.
Joe

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2010, 10:01:26 am »
I've also noticed that the unread button can be covered up if you zoom your IE window (control-scroll button); I've seen this on a large-screen Win7 system with IE8 so it's not an old phenomenon.

Click right under your name and see if it brings something up; it might be hidden in the dark brown border.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Michael Thompson

• 1st Kit
  • Making the world better -- one beer at a time
    • Multipassionate!
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2010, 02:48:32 pm »
I've been corresponding with Fred by Private Message, but just FYI for the rest of you, I'm using Firefox 3.6.8 on Macintosh OS X 10.4.11.

Offline Michael Thompson

• 1st Kit
    • Multipassionate!
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2010, 02:49:54 pm »
I've also noticed that the unread button can be covered up if you zoom your IE window (control-scroll button); I've seen this on a large-screen Win7 system with IE8 so it's not an old phenomenon.

Click right under your name and see if it brings something up; it might be hidden in the dark brown border.

Actually, that works! Cool, and thanks.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2010, 09:05:03 am »

Actually, that works! Cool, and thanks.

See? Good info just delivered differently. I hope this small sample of help shows the potential of the group here.
Cheers.  ;D
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline Michael Thompson

• 1st Kit
    • Multipassionate!
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2010, 11:03:28 pm »
Well, it's better at least. I can use forums, and I do so in several instances. I just prefer e-mail instead. The Forum has a lot of potential, but also way too much content. The work is sifting through all that to find something. The unread button does help a bit.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2010, 06:13:22 am »
Here's a fast way to use the forums:
1. When you login, have it remember you so you don't have to do it next time
2. Click the "Unread" button to view the list of new topics
3. If you see a topic you want to read, click the "New" button on that topic; it will jump to the first unread post
4. When you're done reading everything interesting to you, click the "Mark all messages as read" link so that the next time you do this, you'll only see things you haven't seen before

Or you could just bookmark the Unread page http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?action=unread and jump straight to step #3. Just hit that once a day, and you have a near TechTalk experience.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2010, 10:03:24 am »
I have to admit that I find it a bit amusing that so many people have talked about being overwhelmed by the volume of info on the forum.  It seems like they're saying they liked TT becasue it was underused and there wasn't that much there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2010, 10:16:09 am »
I have to admit that I find it a bit amusing that so many people have talked about being overwhelmed by the volume of info on the forum.  It seems like they're saying they liked TT because it was underused and there wasn't that much there.
I'm glad you voiced that, but those were my thoughts as well.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2010, 10:21:18 am »
I have to admit that I find it a bit amusing that so many people have talked about being overwhelmed by the volume of info on the forum.  It seems like they're saying they liked TT because it was underused and there wasn't that much there.
I'm glad you voiced that, but those were my thoughts as well.

+1

Good point Denny.

If I am looking for a resource, I generally look for the best one I can find.  If the forum has more info why wouldn't one want to take advantage of that.  Some folks also seem to be overwhelmed with the level and diversity of info. here on the forum. 

I think that if given the opportunity to learn how to navigate around the forum, one would be hard pressed not to come back again and again.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:24:38 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2010, 10:23:26 am »
Before too many people go down the "weird" path - I'll point out the counter argument. TT had lower content volume, but the signal to noise ratio is/was much better on TT.

The forum is great for fostering a sense of community, largely because everyone on here can be a chatty cathy without folks going cross eyed. TT and other email groups inherently self-whittle and with the exception of strong personalities tend to foster a more anonymous community that contributes only when important to them.

Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline susanr

• Cellarman
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2010, 10:28:36 am »

Denny,  I think you are misinterpreting the meaning.  It isn't that TT was underused (altho I guess from the forum standards you could consider it that way) but that the information was much more readily available - on TT you do not have to go hunt for anything - it just comes into your e-mail box everyday - you can easily scan the titles to see what is there - those topics of interest can easily be clicked on and you get your brewing fix for the day. It doesn't matter if it is 5 topics or 40 - they are much quicker to scan than the forum is.  I have to admit I really prefer this method - I have been trying to keep up with the forum but I just don't have the time to do so.  Being the brewing junky that I am I have way to many topics that I am interested in now coming into my mailbox - and no time to really focus on any of them.  With TT things do come at a slower pace which many of us like - I don't need to know answers immediately - I like information to come in at a slower pace.  If there is something that I really want information on right away then I would come to a forum or do an internet search.  I think that the forum and TT are two totally different ways of receiving information and I think it is wrong to assume that one is better than the other as that is very dependent on the individual.  TT is better for me - the forum is better for you - but that doesn't make one exclusive to the other - I am sure there are many homebrewers out there that love both and use both.  I will use both (plus HBD) but prefer the TT version overall.

I really hope a solution can be found and TT (or a version of it) can be saved.

Cheers,
Susan

Cheers,
Susan

Homebrewing is not my hobby - it is my lifestyle.

BJCP Assistant Exam Director
BJCP Grand Master Judge
former AHA Governing Committee
Prairie Homebrewing Companions
Beer and Meadmaker - 15 years

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2010, 10:29:49 am »
Before too many people go down the "weird" path - I'll point out the counter argument. TT had lower content volume, but the signal to noise ratio is/was much better on TT.

Yes, very much lower S/N on TT, but still, a very much lower post count in general.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2010, 10:33:34 am »
Denny,  I think you are misinterpreting the meaning.  It isn't that TT was underused (altho I guess from the forum standards you could consider it that way) but that the information was much more readily available - on TT you do not have to go hunt for anything - it just comes into your e-mail box everyday - you can easily scan the titles to see what is there - those topics of interest can easily be clicked on and you get your brewing fix for the day. It doesn't matter if it is 5 topics or 40 - they are much quicker to scan than the forum is.  I have to admit I really prefer this method - I have been trying to keep up with the forum but I just don't have the time to do so.  Being the brewing junky that I am I have way to many topics that I am interested in now coming into my mailbox - and no time to really focus on any of them.  With TT things do come at a slower pace which many of us like - I don't need to know answers immediately - I like information to come in at a slower pace.  If there is something that I really want information on right away then I would come to a forum or do an internet search.  I think that the forum and TT are two totally different ways of receiving information and I think it is wrong to assume that one is better than the other as that is very dependent on the individual.  TT is better for me - the forum is better for you - but that doesn't make one exclusive to the other - I am sure there are many homebrewers out there that love both and use both.  I will use both (plus HBD) but prefer the TT version overall.

I really hope a solution can be found and TT (or a version of it) can be saved.

Cheers,
Susan

Susan, I agree with you on a day to day basis.  But what about if you recall a topic in TT 6 months back that you want to re-read?  In that case, at least for me, it becomes much easier to search a forum than many back issues of TT.  And I know that because I've kept every TT going back for years so I could search for stuff.  It's quite unwieldy..at least for me.  But as you say, different people have different ways to retrieve and utilize info.  That's why we're working so hard to try to find a replacement/alternative for TT.  We're testing one of those now, and I hope we have good news for TT aficionados soon.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2010, 10:37:55 am »

Yes, very much lower S/N on TT, but still, a very much lower post count in general.

Wouldn't a "better" S/N be "higher"? :)
Joe