Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Should the AHA Keep TechTalk?

Yes, it's a major part of what I pay my dues for.
177 (63.4%)
No, this forum more than replaces what TT provides.
85 (30.5%)
Pantless, not clueless.
12 (4.3%)
I'm not an AHA member.
5 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 276

Author Topic: Should the AHA Keep TechTalk?  (Read 25092 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Should the AHA Keep TechTalk?
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2010, 12:25:25 pm »
TT brings to my attention others questions which I may have never thought of - if that makes sense.

If you start using the forum frequently, you will find the "Unread" button gives you the latest of what's been posted since you last logged on - you can then decide what threads look interesting and ignore those that don't.  a little different in the pushing/pulling information debate, but its close.

It took me a considerable amount of time to login and find this discussion to post and I still am not sure if I posted as response to another post or I am adding. Can't find the poll. PLEASE KEEP TECH TALK!!!

so because the first time you got on a bike, you couldn't ride it right away, so you just decided to walk instead?  come on.  it may take a little getting used to, but what doesn't?  it will become second nature to you once you use it a few times.

to be quite honest, I am an AHA member and had never heard of TT until all this ruckus stirred up.  then when I went to go sign up for it to see what it is all about, I can't find where to sign up - I guess TT should be nixed because I can't find it  ;).

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline 4jhds

• 1st Kit
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2010, 12:28:04 pm »
Tech Talk has been great over the years. I see no reason to abandon the format. I enjoy the ease with which I can access topics of interest and skip over items of little interest to me. I have never posted on the site but review and view it faithfully when received. I would probably not be counted in any poll of viewers because I have not posted. This does NOT mean I don't read and appreciate the questions and answers given.
   I recently attended an AHA rally and signed up for another two years. I now wish I had waited for awhile to see what becomes of Tech Talk before putting down my dollars. Tech Talk is the major reason I am an AHA member.

John- brewing since 1954

"When the beer bubbles the masses forget their troubles"

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2010, 12:40:40 pm »
Let's face it.  Human nature dictates that change threatens our comfort zone & the TT subscribers are threatened right now.  It would be unfortunate if some AHA members would drop their membership because TT is dropped.  I can't imagine  many would do that and if they did, well it's really their loss IMO. It's nice to gather input from the masses but ultimately, if TT is too costly to support, the AHA needs to make an "executive" decision & move on.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2010, 12:59:01 pm »
Please everyone keep in mind that this is an informal poll, and the final outcome will not necessarily affect what happens to TT one way or the other.  I certainly don't speak for the AHA, but I'm certain that Gary and other AHA staff and directors will take the results into account.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that the outcome of the poll will be the outcome of TT.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2010, 01:19:15 pm »
Now that I've used both the Forum and Tech Talk I can weigh in on this. 

I'd like to pose an analogy.  Take your cellphone out of your pocket and look at it.  It's not big and clunky anymore or anything like A. G. Bell intended, but you can still talk to someone.  You can also use it to send and receive text messages, search the web and get your email.  Each generation of Smart Phone gets better and better with technology but you can still use it as it was originally intended... as a phone. 

So let's keep Tech Talk as a "phone" and the Forum as "texting!" both have advantages and disadvantes, likes and dislikes.  I want information and I like both methods.  There's room for both.

Respectfully,
Steve Espach
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline thcbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2010, 01:40:40 pm »
Most definitly they should keep AHA tech talk. It is a big advantage to baing an AHA Member. Not only doe sit allo wus to help eachother, but it creates a network of of like minded individuals that are much stronger as a group. I hate forums, "sifting thourhg the s***" gets old quick and I would lose interest pretty quick as well. I lveo tech talk, it gives me ideas and stimulates m ybrain into creating new ways of doing things and brewing.

Keep it and either charge more for membership (Couldn't be too much spread over 15,000 members could it?) or change the system in which you utilize to send it out. I'm no techie, so I do not have an answer for the latter of my suggestions, but I know there are plenty of techies out there who could take care of this for you guys.

KEEP TECH TALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH 1 MORE THING, I DON'T HAVE TO LOOK AT ALL THE *********** ANNOYING EMOTICONS ON TECH TALK. Another big advantage over the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edited words, you know the kind fb
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:45:51 am by bonjour »

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2010, 01:45:12 pm »
Keep it and either charge more for membership (Couldn't be too much spread over 15,000 members could it?)

If, as it should be, only those who actually want TT get charged more then, yes, it probably would be too much.  I see no reason for one dime of my dues going toward keeping TT.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:27:26 pm by hokerer »
Joe

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2010, 01:53:28 pm »
OH 1 MORE THING, I DON'T HAVE TO LOOK AT ALL THE ********** ANNOYING EMOTICONS ON TECH TALK.

:o
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2010, 02:04:51 pm »
Most definitly they should keep AHA tech talk. It is a big advantage to baing an AHA Member. Not only doe sit allo wus to help eachother, but it creates a network of of like minded individuals that are much stronger as a group. I hate forums, "sifting thourhg the s***" gets old quick and I would lose interest pretty quick as well. I lveo tech talk, it gives me ideas and stimulates m ybrain into creating new ways of doing things and brewing.

Does Tech Talk correct typos too?   I mean one or two is understandable, but 8 or 9 starts to get annoying to look at too.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2010, 02:24:08 pm »

Keep it and either charge more for membership (Couldn't be too much spread over 15,000 members could it?) or change the system in which you utilize to send it out. I'm no techie, so I do not have an answer for the latter of my suggestions, but I know there are plenty of techies out there who could take care of this for you guys.

KEEP TECH TALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH 1 MORE THING, I DON'T HAVE TO LOOK AT ALL THE ********** ANNOYING EMOTICONS ON TECH TALK. Another big advantage over the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can respect your opinion but I disagree with your judgement that TT as opposed to the forum has a much stronger group and more like-minded individuals.  I read TT emails every week and not only do I find as much disparity amongst opinions but I also find varying personalities as well.  Don't get me wrong, I am not playing the forum against TT, but what I am saying is that I believe you are incorrect in that statement.  The forum is a tight nit group of brewers that together have an abundant amount of experience and knowledge.

I have also found after using the forum a few times that it's very well organized and easy to search and navigate. I also think if given a chance you will find this to be a very fine place.

As far as emoticons go...well I don't know what to tell on that one.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:41:34 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2010, 02:45:35 pm »
I DON'T HAVE TO LOOK AT ALL THE ********** ANNOYING EMOTICONS ON TECH TALK.
watch your f##king language please. oh. the forum corrects for that 8)
Don AHA member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2010, 05:08:30 pm »
OH 1 MORE THING, I DON'T HAVE TO LOOK AT ALL THE ********** ANNOYING EMOTICONS ON TECH TALK.

:o

ITS NOT AS BAD AS ALL CAPS THOUGH!!!  ;) :D ;D :o 8)

Offline soulrebel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2010, 08:21:29 pm »
Sorry guys, but TechTalk is outdated. This format is where its at! (or the bee's knees for the older crowd.) Please take a little while to poke around and learn where all the buttons are, then you will find out that this back and forth format allows for much more in depth discussion.
Cheers,
A Fellow TechTalker
AHA# 1234567890

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2010, 09:04:48 pm »
Welcome to the AHA Forum!

Glad to have you on board soulrebel.
Ron Price

Offline richara

• 1st Kit
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2010, 09:07:48 pm »
I have been following this conversation and on TechTalk since Gary first announced the decision on August 2nd, and on this thread since I learned about it a few days later. I applaud all of you that have added constructively to the debate.  There have been a number of good points made on both sides of the issue.  It is unfortunate, however, that the conversation has diminished to the point of hurling insults, profanity, all cap screaming, and emoticons at each other.  I hope the conversation can return to a respectful and productive debate, and that it will lead to a solution that the AHA membership can all (or at least mostly) feel comfortable with.  Unfortunately, I do not have the technical experience to help craft a replacement for TechTalk, but I know that many of you do, and I hope that you will take advantage of the leadership's invitation for suggestions.  One suggestion that has been offered by many members is to actually allow them the option of paying for TechTalk.  Even if there are only 2500 people reading TechTalk regularly (I suspect there are more), it would not take much to make TechTalk self-supportive.  Personally, I find TechTalk to be the most valuable aspect of my membership, and would happily give up my subscription to Zymurgy if it would help save TechTalk.  While there may be a technical solution for replacing TechTalk, I hope the leadership will consider additional fundraising options as well.  

Remember, suggestions can be sent to www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/membership/aha-governing-committee

Andrew Richardson
Bellingham, WA