Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hungarian oak cubes  (Read 2295 times)

Offline motmot126

• 1st Kit
  • Prost!
Hungarian oak cubes
« on: August 24, 2018, 06:51:58 pm »
Brewing a 10 gallon Schwarzbier and after fermentation it will go in to two 5 gallon kegs. One of the kegs will be getting 3oz of Hungarian oak cubes that have been soaked in brandy. Has anyone used Brandy soaked oak cubes in the keg? If so can you tell me how much oak cubes and for how long? How did it turn out?
Mot0berFest!!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Hungarian oak cubes
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 06:26:40 am »
I used oak chips soaked in Bourbon in a Blond Ale.  Not knowing any better, I used a pound of oak and soaked it in about 12oz. of Bourbon, strained it and put it into the secondary for a week.  I must say, it was drinkable, but not good by any stretch, way too overpowering.  I think your 3oz. ingredient should work fine along with the brandy.  However, doesnt a Schwarzbier a use smoked malts?  I’m wondering how the brandy and oak will work with a smoked beer.  :-\
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 06:58:03 am »
Schwarzbier uses neither smoked malts nor wood ageing.  The OP is doing an original, wood-aged interpretation of the base style, so it's brewer's choice how much character to go for.  If it were me, I'd go conservative on the amount, and as for time, just taste the beer weekly.  As soon as you get the flavor you want, rack off the wood to another keg.

EDIT found this product, instructions look like a very useful guide:

https://www.grapeandgranary.com/brandy-barrel-chips-4-oz-bag.html
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 08:31:18 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 06:04:08 am »
Schwarzbier uses neither smoked malts nor wood ageing.  The OP is doing an original, wood-aged interpretation of the base style, so it's brewer's choice how much character to go for.  If it were me, I'd go conservative on the amount, and as for time, just taste the beer weekly.  As soon as you get the flavor you want, rack off the wood to another keg.

EDIT found this product, instructions look like a very useful guide:

https://www.grapeandgranary.com/brandy-barrel-chips-4-oz-bag.html

Thanks, Robert, for the correction, I was thinking of a Rauchbier, which is brewed using smoked malts.  Good call!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline motmot126

• 1st Kit
  • Prost!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 06:53:31 am »
Thanks for the replies. I will start tasting after a week and remove cubes when it reaches my desired taste. Thanks again!
Mot0berFest!!

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 02:56:30 pm »
I would only soak 1oz of the cubes in brandy. My experience soaking cubes or chips is that much of the wood character is gone and you get more of the alcohol that was soaking. One week should be fine for the brandy character maybe a bit longer on the wood character.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."