Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash problems?  (Read 3298 times)

Offline motmot126

• 1st Kit
  • Prost!
Mash problems?
« on: August 26, 2018, 07:33:01 am »
Brewed a 10 gallon batch with expected SG of 1.049. 20.5 lbs of grains, 6.33 gallons of strike water, 10 gallons for fly sparge. Mashed at 152° and sparge ran from 170°-168° through out the fly sparge. Mash was at 5.1 ph. Brewed, cooled and transferred to a reading and got 1.040. Looking for some  possible causes that I missed My SG by so much
Mot0berFest!!

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
Re: Mash problems?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 08:31:38 am »
Yeah, that's a little low, but not terrible. Are you using a hydrometer? If so, check the calibration with distilled water. Should be zero at 68F. My efficiency suffers if I don't stir my mash every 10-15 minutes. How long did you mash?
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 08:53:09 am »
Your mash is quite thick.   It can be difficult to make sure that grains are properly incorporated with water when the mash is that thick.  I prefer to mash at 1.5 qt/lb. 

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 09:23:45 am »
True. Grains may not have been mixed adequately. Mot used 1.26qt/lb. I regularly use 1.0qt/lb without problems.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 10:26:01 am »
Other possibilities: 1) You ran off too fast. With fly sparging, slower is better for max efficiency. 2) Your boil was less vigorous than expected, thus your post-boil volume was greater than expected, thus your beer is more dilute.

It's extremely useful to measure pre-boil gravity and volume. These numbers are very useful. If you knew these numbers you could easily determine if this was a mash/runoff issue or a boil issue.

Your liquor:grist ratio is fine, you can take that off the table as a reason. But stirring the mash every 10-15 minutes does indeed help squeeze out a little more sugar.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 10:32:59 am »
Wort stratifies very quickly. If you didn’t mix the kettle before checking specific gravity, you might have misread what the true specific gravity was.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline motmot126

• 1st Kit
  • Prost!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 11:38:06 am »
I did a 60 minute mash. How long should it take to fly spaerge about 10 gallons?
Mot0berFest!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 04:48:10 pm »
I did a 60 minute mash. How long should it take to fly spaerge about 10 gallons?

I'd say at least 30 min., maybe 60
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline motmot126

• 1st Kit
  • Prost!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 05:10:57 pm »
Ok I definitely may have fly sparged too fast, I’m thinking it took 20-25mins. After reading the link I should be sparging way slower. This was my 2cd fly sparge, previously I was batch sparging. Thanks for all the replies!
Mot0berFest!!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 04:53:25 pm »
I am unable to crunch all the numbers but it looks to me that you didn't use quite enough grain and sparged with too great a volume.  If your final post boil volume was high at all, this could be purely a dilutionary effect.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 05:34:35 pm »
I did some quick crunching.  It looks like you were only expecting about 51% yield, which is extremely low in itself.  A very conservative 70% yield -- easily achieved with a conventional (I hate the term "fly") sparge and your ratios -- should get you an OG north of 1.067.  I would guess there are two issues.  First, at your water-to-grist ratio of 2.6:1 (1.23 qt/lb) it may have been difficult to adequately stir a 10 gal, 20 lb batch.  (5 gal, no problem.)  Could have left dry spots, even. Then there's the speed of your sparge.  I'd say you should try a thinner mash -- at least 3:1 or 1.45 qt/lb -- and slow down the sparge.  The proper rate for sparging is really dependant on the depth of the grain bed, not the total weight or volume.  If your depth is on the order of a foot, recirculation and runoff should take probably an hour or so.  Really, let the rate set itself:  find where it flows smoothly and crystal clear by gravity without pulling solids through the filter bed.  Thoroughly mixing the mash,  periodically stirring it to help sugar migrate into solution, and letting the sparge percolate through more slowly should get much more extract out.

(Fixed typo)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:39:12 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline motmot126

• 1st Kit
  • Prost!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 05:57:47 pm »
Thanks, I’m going to brew this weekend and I’ll follow your advice and do a 1.45qt per lb
Mot0berFest!!

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 03:20:24 pm »
Ok I definitely may have fly sparged too fast, I’m thinking it took 20-25mins. After reading the link I should be sparging way slower. This was my 2cd fly sparge, previously I was batch sparging. Thanks for all the replies!
I'm curious, why did you switch from batch to fly sparging?  Just to try it, or for other reasons.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 03:47:52 pm »
I did some quick crunching.  It looks like you were only expecting about 51% yield, which is extremely low in itself.  A very conservative 70% yield -- easily achieved with a conventional (I hate the term "fly") sparge and your ratios -- should get you an OG north of 1.067.  I would guess there are two issues.  First, at your water-to-grist ratio of 2.6:1 (1.23 qt/lb) it may have been difficult to adequately stir a 10 gal, 20 lb batch.  (5 gal, no problem.)  Could have left dry spots, even. Then there's the speed of your sparge.  I'd say you should try a thinner mash -- at least 3:1 or 1.45 qt/lb -- and slow down the sparge.  The proper rate for sparging is really dependant on the depth of the grain bed, not the total weight or volume.  If your depth is on the order of a foot, recirculation and runoff should take probably an hour or so.  Really, let the rate set itself:  find where it flows smoothly and crystal clear by gravity without pulling solids through the filter bed.  Thoroughly mixing the mash,  periodically stirring it to help sugar migrate into solution, and letting the sparge percolate through more slowly should get much more extract out.

(Fixed typo)

Dude, you've brought out my inner pedant...why is fly sparging "conventional" and batch sparging is not?  Batch sparging was around for a long time before fly sparging.  I'd argue that it's more "conventional".  Actually, I'd argue to not even use the word "conventional"....cal them by what they are.  If you don't like "fly", how about "continuous"?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 04:57:52 pm »

(Fixed typo)

Dude, you've brought out my inner pedant...why is fly sparging "conventional" and batch sparging is not?  Batch sparging was around for a long time before fly sparging.  I'd argue that it's more "conventional".  Actually, I'd argue to not even use the word "conventional"....cal them by what they are.  If you don't like "fly", how about "continuous"?
I vote for "decreasing rate of return sparge" instead of Fly Sparge, simply "Sparge" instead of Batch Sparge, and instead of No Sparge you just dont mention sparging at all.