Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oktoberfest recipe  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Kirk

• Cellarman
Re: Oktoberfest recipe
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 08:20:33 pm »
It's been a while since I checked on this post. I want to first say thanks to everyone who posted and provided advice/insight. I did tweak (pretty significant actually) the recipe based on more research and comments, so thanks!

Here is what I ended up going with

6lbs Weyermann Vienna
4lbs Weyermann Pilsner
1lb carapils (could not get carafoam)
1lb Dingemans Munich
1/2lb of carared
1oz of Tettnag at 60mins
1oz of Hallertauer at last 15mins

IBU's calculated to be 22.9, finish at 5.5% (maybe a little low, but we'll see what happens).

I wanted the color a little darker, so I added 2oz of roasted barely, which did the trick. It gave it a nice kick without imparting any taste that I can tell.

I was concerned about being able to hit the main ferm temperature with a true lager yeast, so I decided to try WLP810 (san fran lager yeast). Right now the beer is in my keggerator with a heating pad. The keg temperature was way higher than I thought (50F - this probably explains why I need so much C02 pressure and time to get good carbonation), so the combination of the keggerator being $hitty, and the heating pad is keeping the temp consistent at 58-59F. Honestly, I probably could have chosen a different strain and made it work, but experience is a good teacher.

It's day 4 into fermentation right now, and things are looking good so far. Any advice on this yeast? It's described as an lager like characteristics, even at higher temps. This makes me wonder if I should pull it out of the keggerator and allow it rise up to 64F after reaching half terminal gravity? Never laggered before, and this strain is unique.

Recipe looks good.  I've used WLP810 several times both at cold 50 F and cool 60 F temperatures and have been very pleased with it in every case.  Made a great "altbier" and "schwarzbier" with it last year.

Encouraging! Thanks for the responses!
Since you have some experience with this yeast....should I keep it at 58F? It's sitting at a little more than halfway to terminal gravity (1.043 measured with a refractometer), ~3.28%. Wondering if it would be better to reduce it down in the low 50's based on other things I've read regarding Marzen's?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 09:39:41 pm »
I'd keep it warm.  I don't like to go down in temperature, only steady or up.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2018, 07:43:05 pm »
O'zapft is!

Deep golden-bronze, aromatic and enticingly drinkable, crisp but not dry; rich, spicy malt under a thick, white head; I'll be brewing this again next year (might not be able to wait that long.)

• 7 gal.
• 13.5°P
• 100% Weyermann Bohemian Dark (6.6°L)
• Balanced water, all available low-oxygen measures
• Hochkurz
• 1 oz. Saaz (whole cone) FWH
• 2 oz. Saaz (whole cone) start of 60 min., low-intensity boil
• Weihenstephan 34/70

Of all the Oktoberfest beers I've tried this year, this is, by far, my favorite.

And that's why we brew.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2018, 10:23:57 pm »
I'd keep it warm.  I don't like to go down in temperature, only steady or up.
Agree! If I lower temp its because it's done and I want to speed up dropping bright

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2018, 11:04:29 pm »
O'zapft is!

Deep golden-bronze, aromatic and enticingly drinkable, crisp but not dry; rich, spicy malt under a thick, white head; I'll be brewing this again next year (might not be able to wait that long.)

• 7 gal.
• 13.5°P
• 100% Weyermann Bohemian Dark (6.6°L)
• Balanced water, all available low-oxygen measures
• Hochkurz
• 1 oz. Saaz (whole cone) FWH
• 2 oz. Saaz (whole cone) start of 60 min., low-intensity boil
• Weihenstephan 34/70

Of all the Oktoberfest beers I've tried this year, this is, by far, my favorite.

And that's why we brew.
I like the simplicity!

Offline Kirk

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2018, 01:47:55 pm »
Update on the Oktoberfest....

It still needs another day on the gas, but overall I'm very happy with it! Just a touch of caramel on the back end, so I might tweak that next time to remove it from the gain bill. I used 1/2 lb of Carared for this brew.

Otherwise, it has a great copper color, perfectly hopped, and a nice balance.

I would say 8/10 right now, and considering it was my first attempt at this style. Thanks to everyone who provided advice on the recipe!

Take care.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 05:25:40 pm »
Update on the Oktoberfest....

It still needs another day on the gas, but overall I'm very happy with it! Just a touch of caramel on the back end, so I might tweak that next time to remove it from the gain bill. I used 1/2 lb of Carared for this brew.

Otherwise, it has a great copper color, perfectly hopped, and a nice balance.

I would say 8/10 right now, and considering it was my first attempt at this style. Thanks to everyone who provided advice on the recipe!

Take care.
The least a brewer can do is share a picture so we can live vicariously. ;)