Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fall and winter beers  (Read 4464 times)

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: Fall and winter beers
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 09:56:41 am »

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
2 each - Vanilla bean - split & scraped, Time: 7 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary

Hey Eric,

Is this a mistake typing?

If not, could you explain this? Do you put the vanilla in the secondary for 7 minutes?

Ralph R.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 10:00:12 am »
I live on the "dark side" year round.  All I brew is brown ales, porters, stouts, and one dark saison.

I'll go to monthly brew club meetings and sample the lighter end of the spectrum, but other than an occasional saison, I don't find much there that I like enough to make 5 gallons of.

I actually wish my tastes were broader, but they are not.  Right now I have a brown ale I'm cold crashing and will bottle Wednesday.

Cheers to all.

Ohh, I have a dark Belgium that’s aging right now, one of my friends said it tasted like a porter, but I disagree. Has some phenols.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 10:17:37 am »
I'm a big fan of Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter (BVIP) as a beer during colder seasons.  You can find the recipe somewhere on this site or use Google to find it.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 11:19:23 am »
I'm looking for a solid English Porter recipe.
Just take your regular English Porter recipe and freeze it.

;D
Cue the endless Spongebob laughter fit...

As to Denny's BVIP I'm curious. Might have to try that out. I assume the base beer is fantastic without the bourbon or vanilla

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 11:38:16 am »

;D

As to Denny's BVIP I'm curious. Might have to try that out. I assume the base beer is fantastic without the bourbon or vanilla
Actually the base is very good without the bourbon and vanilla.  I much prefer it.
A couple years ago I got more than my fair share of BVIP when judging the second round of NHC.  It was very popular that year.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 12:26:33 pm »
My wife won't let me stop making Cream Ale so I'm making 10 more gallons of that then I've got an Old Ale, a Porter and a Stout on the schedule. I already have a big barleywine conditioning in the basement that I brewed up at the end of July.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 12:28:07 pm »

;D

Actually the base is very good without the bourbon and vanilla.  I much prefer it.
A couple years ago I got more than my fair share of BVIP when judging the second round of NHC.  It was very popular that year.

I have to admit that I pretty much burned out on the bourbon and vanilla, as have most of my friends who received it at Christmas for many years.  Fortunately, the porter alone is delicious, or with coffee if you're into that.

Recipe is here....http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BourbonVanillaImperialPorter
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 12:56:01 pm »

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
2 each - Vanilla bean - split & scraped, Time: 7 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary

Hey Eric,

Is this a mistake typing?

If not, could you explain this? Do you put the vanilla in the secondary for 7 minutes?

Stupid app. It's supposed to be 7 days, but I start tasting around day 2 or 3 and pull it when it hits the level I want.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2018, 07:09:44 pm »

;D

I have to admit that I pretty much burned out on the bourbon and vanilla, as have most of my friends who received it at Christmas for many years.  Fortunately, the porter alone is delicious, or with coffee if you're into that.

Recipe is here....http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BourbonVanillaImperialPorter
Search completed sounds like! Denny, would you just cut the pale down if you wanted it around 1.060?

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 06:06:03 am »
I brew a CDA year round since that's my wife's favorite and the beer I've made the most of and have really dialed in. 

This year I'm planning to re-try a brew I made a couple years ago that went horribly wrong, an Imperial Milk Stout with Cocoa nibs called "Waiting for Santa".. the inspiration was a beer to leave with cookies instead of milk. I got too ambitious with a high gravity beer too early in my homebrewing career and met with disaster, but now I'm ready to re-try it. 

Each winter I brew a Belgian dark strong that I bottle condition for nearly a year, so it comes out in late summer the following year.  Besides that I don't do a lot of winter specific beers, but now this thread has the ideas bubbling..
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 06:48:48 am »
Will be brewing a Wee Heavy next week.  Later on will be a Coffee Porter and my Peppermint Patty Stout.  Got a few competition beers to get finished before the porter and stout.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 08:16:25 am »

;D

Search completed sounds like! Denny, would you just cut the pale down if you wanted it around 1.060?

I always adjust all grains proportionally
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 08:23:30 am »
Yup! I prefer to go by %'s of grains in malt bills.  That way one can more easily adjust for their own personal efficiency on their systems.

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 08:33:01 pm »
I agree with porter being a great fall/winter brew. I have an English Brown and a Spruce Porter just now coming online that provide a nice variety. Also have an Amber ale and an Irish Red that I added a touch of smoked malt to give it a bit more heft.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 02:16:03 pm »
Lots of good heavy beers getting listed, barleywines, porters, stouts...

I do love the "cold-weather" beers.

I brewed an ESB with a friend a couple weeks ago.  I'm currently working on a recipe for a Burton ale to brew in a month or so.  Although I'm planning to do one of the long-term aging versions, so unfortunately it won't be ready to go for a year or more.  Hopefully in Fall 2019 I'll have a good beer coming up ;D