Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FRESH HOPS!  (Read 1840 times)

Offline philo.codie

• 1st Kit
FRESH HOPS!
« on: September 18, 2018, 11:12:02 am »
It's that time of year to harvest hops and make a fresh hopped beer.
Unfortunately some of my vines died and I only had about 7.5 oz of hops. And I have no idea what they are because someone gave the vine to me years ago just to grow for aesthetics.
So my question is, does anyone have any decent recipes for a wet hopped beer that only requires one addition of wet hops, rest being dried, and something that is flexible to different kinds of hops as I have no idea what mine are?
PS, I harvested last night so I need to brew tomorrow morning.
Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: FRESH HOPS!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 11:47:41 am »
If it was me, I'd make a basic pale ale and use them as a whirlpool addition
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline philo.codie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 01:59:21 pm »
That is what I was assuming would work the best. What kind of pale ale would you suggest? I have read that I should avoid anything too happy if I want to add fresh hops.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 02:58:31 pm »
That is what I was assuming would work the best. What kind of pale ale would you suggest? I have read that I should avoid anything too happy if I want to add fresh hops.

I'm thinking in terms of a classic APA.   Pale malt, maybe 5-10% crystal of your choice,  1.050-55, 35ish IBU.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline philo.codie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 05:52:21 pm »
I am eyeballing this recipe. However that seems like a ridiculous amount of malt. And I wasn't sure if citra hops would be fine with a wet hop. Though I don't see why not.

ALL-GRAIN

Estimated OG: 1.058 
Estimated FG: 1.017 
Estimated IBUs: 42 
Estimated ABV: 5.3%

MALT/GRAIN BILL

11 lb (5 kg) pale malt (2-row) 
2.5 lb (1.1 kg) caramel malt (10 SRM) 
1 lb (453 g) caramel malt (20 SRM)

HOPS SCHEDULE

1 oz ( 28 g) Citra at 30 minutes 
1 oz ( 28 g) Citra at 15 minutes 
1 oz ( 28 g) Citra at 0 minutes 
1 oz ( 28 g) Citra at dry hop

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 05:55:41 pm »
See Denny's suggestion for cara/crystal level of 5-10%. The recipe you posted sits around 24% crystal, awfully high. You may have attenuation issues, too sweet, etc. I do not have a replacement recipe for you but that is a lot of crystal malt
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 06:13:41 pm »
Good on ya for growing yourself some hops.  I do the same and have made a few wet hop ambers over the years.  7.5 oz of wet hops will likely impart little or no affect on your overall recipe; you really need a ton more to get flavor or aroma out, especially for a full 5-gallon batch.  If you really want to experience some wet hop flavors, scale that recipe down and use all of them at flame out.

Offline philo.codie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 06:52:03 pm »
Ha. Yeah I spaced the comment about the crystal %.
I might go with this. It is just over 10% Crystal/cara. And I like rye beers.

For 11 gallons (41.6 L)

MALTS

17 lb (7.71 kg) American pale 2-row malt

2 lb (0.9 kg) flaked rye

1.8 lb (816 g) Caravienne malt

10 oz (293 g) 40°L crystal malt

HOPS

1 oz (28 g) Citra, 13% a.a., first wort hop

0.25 oz (7 g) Magnum, 13% a.a. @ 60 minutes

1 oz (28 g) Citra, 13% @ 15 minutes

1 oz (28 g) Citra, 13% a.a. @ 10 minutes

1.5 oz (43 g) Citra, 13% a.a. @ 5 minutes

2 oz (57 g) Citra, 13% a.a. @ flameout

6 oz (170 g) Citra 13% a.a., dry hop 5 to 7 days

YEAST

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II, 10-15 million cells per mL

ADDITIONAL ITEMS

2 lb orange blossom honey at flameout*

See Denny's suggestion for cara/crystal level of 5-10%. The recipe you posted sits around 24% crystal, awfully high. You may have attenuation issues, too sweet, etc. I do not have a replacement recipe for you but that is a lot of crystal malt

Offline philo.codie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 06:54:06 pm »
Good on ya for growing yourself some hops.  I do the same and have made a few wet hop ambers over the years.  7.5 oz of wet hops will likely impart little or no affect on your overall recipe; you really need a ton more to get flavor or aroma out, especially for a full 5-gallon batch.  If you really want to experience some wet hop flavors, scale that recipe down and use all of them at flame out.
Yeah I know it's not a lot. Like I said, my 2nd vine died. I plan on planting 8 more next year to shade my south facing side of my house!
I might experiment with adding them to first fermentation. I read that some people try that and considering the low volume of hops I have it might give more time to work it's magic. However I don't want it to get too grassy.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 09:22:50 pm »
Because of the limited amount of fresh hops, you could split the batch in two.  Add the mystery hops to half of it.  You'll get a bigger effect because it's only half the batch, and be able to taste exactly what they add to it.  I always like doing this kind of thing when an opportunity is there.

Offline philo.codie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 09:24:25 pm »
Because of the limited amount of fresh hops, you could split the batch in two.  Add the mystery hops to half of it.  You'll get a bigger effect because it's only half the batch, and be able to taste exactly what they add to it.  I always like doing this kind of thing when an opportunity is there.
That's a good idea. But I might have to try and another time because I don't have any 3 gallon size fermenters and I don't want to buy anything extra tomorrow. But the Hops aren't going anywhere so maybe I'll try it next year