Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast Oktoberfest (2633) - Suitable for a Doppelbock?  (Read 2034 times)

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
Wyeast Oktoberfest (2633) - Suitable for a Doppelbock?
« on: August 12, 2010, 01:03:04 pm »
I've got an straight up Oktoberfest working its way now, but since I've been planning on brewing a Doppelbock, it got me thinking: why not reuse the Oktoberfest yeast for it?

According to Wyeast, their Oktoberfest strain is a "a blend of lager strains designed to produce a rich, malty, complex and full bodied Octoberfest style beer. Attenuates well while still leaving plenty of malt character and mouthfeel. Low in sulfur production."

Sounds like a great option to me for a darker-end Doppelbock (see the base recipe at http://brewlog.zkdigital.com/index.php?page=recipeDetail&filter=geoff&id=157).

Can anyone think of a reason not to?

~Geoff

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Wyeast Oktoberfest (2633) - Suitable for a Doppelbock?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:11:58 pm »
I haven't used that yeast, but repitching yeast from an oktoberfest batch in a doppelbock batch is no problem.

The description of the yeast sounds right for those styles, for what that's worth.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Wyeast Oktoberfest (2633) - Suitable for a Doppelbock?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:16:50 pm »
Geoff

I did just that ~4 years ago (oktoberfest then doppelbock) with 2633.  I thought the doppel was great - it got runnerup BOS at an MCAB entry comp that year with it, so a few other folks agreed that it didn't suck  ;)

Go for it.

Cheers!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281