Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Big beer ideas for s-04  (Read 1928 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Big beer ideas for s-04
« on: July 25, 2010, 11:40:43 am »
I have a nice cake of s-04 developing beneath a 1.045 bitter. I would like to make something big with it. I have a black IPA and a big stout in secondary, so preferably something pale. Maybe an English-style IPA (I have loads of Willamette). Maybe a barleywine. Either way I would like to pump it full of willamette, since I have so much of it ($6/lb at hops direct).

Right now I was thinking maybe something like 80% MO, 10% crystal, 5% wheat malt, and 5% dextrose to about 1.062 and about 60 IBU with about 30 coming from later additions.

But I am also considering a balls-out hoppy barley wine with a ton of CTZ, cascade, and a little Willamette for good measure. Something around 1.090 and just MO and crystal.

What would you make? An EIPA, a barley wine, or something else?

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
Re: Big beer ideas for s-04
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 12:17:07 pm »
With those ingredients in mind, I would lean toward a barleywine or old ale.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:21:52 am »
With those ingredients in mind, I would lean toward a barleywine or old ale.

How does one go about brewing an old ale? I have never tried to make one.

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 08:20:28 am »
old ale? uk 2 row, british crystal, a touch of roasted barley or black patent, and treacle...i've even heard some people use D2 candi syrup instead of the treacle. keep to just bittering hops...you can oak this too...it's kind of in between a british ipa and a barleywine...i think you may also find it referred to as stock ale. it used to be something that brewers would blend in small quantities with young beers, to give a slightly aged quality to milds and bitters...personally, i've always wanted to brew jamil's recipe for one, just never get around to it.

lmgtfy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_ale
Take it easy...

Offline jodyc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 07:36:26 pm »
How about a really huge extra light imperial pale ale?  You could mash with all pilsner malt, perform a double decoction, and stuff it full of willamette.

Too crazy?