Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: faucets directly on keg and foam  (Read 2975 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
faucets directly on keg and foam
« on: September 10, 2018, 10:09:54 am »
Hi team.  I bought some adapter deal that connects my faucets directly to my corny keg and am having foam for days.  I am just assuming that this is just a bad idea but maybe you can add some insight.  to be clear, I have an adapter directly between my faucet and my corny keg with no tubing.  I had hoped that since it was all in the fridge, I might be able to get away with no foam. no luck yet.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: faucets directly on keg and foam
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 10:11:14 am »
You need the tubing to drop the pressure and balance the system.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 10:44:31 am »
Tom Schmidlin gave presentation entitled "Draft System Design and Maintenance" that I have referenced. You can find it at the AHA site, seminars, Homebrew Con 2014, Grand Rapids. It may answer your questions.
Roger

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 12:05:57 pm »
These adapters are a great alternative to a jockey box for 1-2 kegs, but you need to drop the pressure down to 1-2 psi. Over days the CO2 will start to come out of solution in the beer, and you'll notice a decrease in carbonation. As Denny stated, you'll need something to drop the pressure between the keg and the faucet if you're planning on using this longterm, either tubing or some other device.

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 04:45:18 pm »
OH Sweet! Thanks everybody! That makes sense. I am going to mount my taps INSIDE my fridge with about 8 feet of hose each tap I guess. I used to have my taps on the outside of the fridge before but since I have fruit trees all around the crib, I get fruit flies as I pour. Malathion spraying all over Los Angeles has not stopped fruit flies from attacking my taps.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 05:42:44 pm »
I have flow control Perlicks mounted directly on my kegs. I can control foam with the flow control feature on the side of the faucet. I do have to pour a just bit slower but I like not having to clean lines so the trade off works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
faucets directly on keg and foam
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 06:58:35 pm »
I have flow control Perlicks mounted directly on my kegs. I can control foam with the flow control feature on the side of the faucet. I do have to pour a just bit slower but I like not having to clean lines so the trade off works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have Perlick flow control faucets mounted directly on the keg also.  I love them. Before that I had 10’ lines and Cobra taps. Both serve equally well. I also like not having lines.

You need a special adapter for the flow control faucets. It’s here: https://www.chicompany.net/beer-store/ball-pin-lock-kegs-parts/ball-lock-keg-parts/faucets-for-ball-lock-kegs/qd-adaptor-for-flow-control-faucets

- formerly alestateyall.