Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: best fridge for kegging system  (Read 8093 times)

Offline jthaworth

• 1st Kit
Re: best fridge for kegging system
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 08:25:36 am »
I have an EdgeStar kegerator:

http://www.edgestar.com/EdgeStar-Full-Size-Kegerator-Keg-Beer-Cooler-Black/KC2000,default,pd.html

I had surveyed many videos on YouTube about various options....there were some good videos showing set-up of this specific model.

From my perspective, the increased cost was worth it....don't have to mess with anything, it's already set for kegs.

Some points for consideration:
  • Ordered online, had minor damage when arrived...next time would see if a local store could order for me
  • Fittings were for commercial keg....converted over to fit coney keg
  • Has reinforced floor, so keg will not damage surface it sits on...most standard mini-fridges have a soft floor

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:28:06 am by jthaworth »

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 09:16:17 am »
Be really careful with your measurements regarding the reinforced floor. I didn't take that extra quarter inch into account and now sometimes struggle to squeeze two 2.5G Torpedo Kegs on top of each other in the Danby model with the reinforced floor.

Offline VinnyV1981

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 02:52:57 pm »
Go with a chest freezer. You can skip buying a temp controller by the coarse adjustment screw located on the temperature control. I fit 4 kegs in my 5cf chest freezer then you can do cool things like this :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is interesting. I'll have a freezer free soon. Do you have a pic of the screw location?

Homebrew... 0% Tax 100% Flavor

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 07:12:27 am »
Go with a chest freezer. You can skip buying a temp controller by the coarse adjustment screw located on the temperature control. I fit 4 kegs in my 5cf chest freezer then you can do cool things like this :)

That is interesting. I'll have a freezer free soon. Do you have a pic of the screw location?
Hey Euge, I just bought a Magic Chef chest freezer and did this. It's behind the temp control knob and I think this is true for most if not all models. I removed the housing that holds it which I could access OK by removing the vent cover. I needed a very small Phillips head "00". I started by turning a little but that didn't get to fridge temps. Last night I set the temp control to "1", the warmest setting and cranked the screw all the way in. It was at 54 this morning so I set it to "2" and will see when I get home. I like that the warmest setting is warmer than I want because that should give me good control via the knob.

The screw was in that rectangular opening to the left.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:14:03 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 12:11:35 pm »
Thanks pete!

I will be investigating this. ;D Looks promising- with a little trial and error the may not be a need for a controller at all!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline VinnyV1981

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 07:19:09 pm »
That's how I did mine. No need to buy a fancy controller. My beer is chilled to 38 degrees just how I want it.

Homebrew... 0% Tax 100% Flavor

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 07:39:15 am »
After using a fridge for over a year, I would go freezer.  Here is why, moving out an empty with 3 full kegs in front is a total PIA!  When you have a freezer and you have an empty, lift, remove, and replace.  Fridge, move kegs while being bent over, pull empty, and replace while being bent over.  Then while being bent over, attach in and out fittings while being bent over.  Did I say bent over?  I'm looking for the right freezer to make a keezer now.  I have everything except all my taps.  I got screwed by Vent-Matic and didn't get my taps before they went under.......$300 loss...nice.  Go freezer, a fridge is for bottles and lagering!
Jeff B

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 07:59:30 am »
Vent-matic is gone again?

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 06:27:22 pm »
I would build a keezer, IMO that’s the way to go. I had a fridge with no freezer, it was junk, still is. I use it for temp control now.

Reason I say keezer is, not tall, uses less energy. I recently created a thread that shows the build out on mine.
My fridge also collected an obscene amount of water and condensation when in use. So. Keezer. Overall i probably spent $150 on building it, and she has wheels.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2018, 10:12:17 am »
I just bought a fridge this weekend due to keezer death. Couldn't imagine not having a freezer on top. I also bbq a lot and stick my frozen bulk meat in their.  So maybe you should get a smoker too!