Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: US-05 pale ale still has krausen after 15 days with slow small bubbles  (Read 5426 times)

Offline Brewbs

• 1st Kit
I brewed a SNPA clone two weeks ago and it still has a full head of krausen, I pitched at 72, it started up pretty typical, it's been hovering between 64 and 68 in my cold basement. Bubbles slowed down after a few days, but it's still slowly chugging.

I've never had this happen before, not sure what to do?  Heck the beer is even clearing up quite nicely.

Thoughts???

Cheers

Offline jFrode

• 1st Kit
US-05 pale ale still has krausen after 15 days with slow small bubbles
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 06:29:11 pm »
I have had it also. First I thought it was an infection because I got my hand in the wort before pitching. It was one of those brews where a cascade of stupid things happened. I asked the same question in the Norwegian hb forum, and the answers where that it happened from time to time. The beer, a pale ale with 25 % rye and a healthy doze of Willamette turned out to be the best session beer I’ve ever made. It was nice and clear under the yeast cake. As I did not want to serve this “hand crafted” beer to anyone else, I finished it myself. Took one for the lads. Taste a sample. That will probably set you at ease. It was US-05

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brewbs

• 1st Kit
Re: US-05 pale ale still has krausen after 15 days with slow small bubbles
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 07:05:15 pm »
I've read mixed methods of dealing with it, did you just wait for it to drop or did you rack it through the krausen?? 

I'm going to wait it out a couple more days, and if it hasn't done anything it's going to a secondary.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 10:01:48 pm »
Raise the temp, then cold crash. That’s what I would do.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 06:55:17 am »
Agree with James.  Raise the temperature and that will help it finish.  I have done this by raising the temperature to around 70 degrees or so and the beer finishes.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 07:57:26 am »
I can almost guarantee that your beer has completed fermentation. Probably finished within the first four days.
In those instances where the krausen has stuck around (especially with US-O5) I would typically rack from underneath the krausen and package as you normally would.

My guess is the higher % of proteins from the considerable amount of rye that you used is leading to the "sticky" krausen. Be sure to take a gravity reading prior to packaging just to be sure your beer has properly attenuated.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 08:15:18 am »
I can almost guarantee that your beer has completed fermentation. Probably finished within the first four days.
In those instances where the krausen has stuck around (especially with US-O5) I would typically rack from underneath the krausen and package as you normally would.

My guess is the higher % of proteins from the considerable amount of rye that you used is leading to the "sticky" krausen. Be sure to take a gravity reading prior to packaging just to be sure your beer has properly attenuated.

THIS.  Everyone is telling you how to finish fermentation but it's likely already done.  Bubnnles don't tell you whether or not it's done.  Take a gravity reading.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 09:16:52 am »
As mentioned, FG has likely been reached unless there was a fermentation problem. I cold crash to remove any remaining krausen. Don't know if you have the ability...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 10:49:12 am »
Sorry, I am going to go against everyone's advice here. Your beer is ruined! You need to ship it to me immediately for safe and authorized disposal as this will require a very steady hand. I'm the only one who can do this for you. Trust me. Don't question it.

And...RDWHAHB.
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 12:04:01 pm »
Cold crash! Cold crash! Cold crash! I agree. It’s probably done. See if the Krausen sinks when you cold crash. If not, do what was mentioned and rack below the krausen.

I have a beer with small bubbles in it right now, about a month old, but I think that’s the Brett. Gravity on that is .995.

What are you fermenting in? it sounds like glass because you say it’s clearning up. If you can’t read gravity you’re probably fine anyways, but I would still raise the temp for a day or two.

You pitched kinda at a high temp. But overall I think you’re fine. Us-05 tends to rip through my beers
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 03:25:19 pm »
Shake it up gently, then cold crash. I asked on this forum once about a persistent layer of "gooey" krausen and was told it was a "pancake". It was held in place by sticking to the edges of the carboy and then sticking to itself all the way across. Once I agitated it enough to break it loose from the walls, it separated into rafts and they sank  readily.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 03:42:42 pm »
Try wyeast 1469... you can park a car on the krausen even after it's done sometimes

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 05:03:55 pm »
Yeah, WY1469 is the one that I got the "pancake" with.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Brewbs

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 05:31:30 pm »
This is probably my 40th batch of beer and I mostly use US-05/US-04/nottingham and never had anything like this happen before.

It was my first time using mostly home grown hops though.

The fermenter is semi transparent plastic.

I've just lost my ability to cold crash, parted with my fridge and CO2 gear, going back to bottling.

all good advice, much appreciated.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 05:38:49 pm »
Dry hopped?  Hops contain enzymes.  Look up "The Freshening Power of Hops" and "hop creep".
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.