Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hard Cider for beginners  (Read 781 times)

Offline Cbeck

• 1st Kit
Hard Cider for beginners
« on: September 11, 2018, 01:41:25 pm »
I'm new to all of this so I thought I should ask people who have done it before! I have approximately 10-15 bushels of apples from the trees in my yard and thought I would try my hand at cider! Hard and soft.  I have 2 large glass carboys with the S type Airlocks, (inherited my Grandma's wine making equipment) My question is do I need to use a bucket first or can all fermentation be done in the carboy? or do I mix yeast and cider in bucket then transfer it to the carboy? Like I said I'm new to this and any pointers would be great! 

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hard Cider for beginners
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 01:49:25 pm »
It can all be done in a carboy.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Hard Cider for beginners
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 05:33:01 pm »
As long as it's clean and sanitized, either way.  Over time you might want to keep in a carboy to limit exposure to oxygen which will prevent off-flavors and from turning to vinegar.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.