Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing Podcast 75 - What's Hoppening  (Read 977 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Experimental Brewing Podcast 75 - What's Hoppening
« on: September 12, 2018, 11:27:04 am »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-75-whats-hoppening

It's no secret that craft brewers and homebrewers alike love their hops. On this weeks episode, Denny sits down with our friends at Yakima Chief Hops and talks what's coming for us to play with! And then we get the whole run down of Hop & Brew School and why you should get to Yakima next year! Oh and plans for Australia! (Listen to the show!)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Experimental Brewing Podcast 75 - What's Hoppening
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 02:00:53 pm »
I had some of the same thoughts as others: Pastry stout is not a thing (In Central IL). Peanut butter stout? Yes. I would say it's not a true trend the way NEPA/hazy IPAs or Gose was.

Experimental Brewing drinking game: Take a sip whenever Cryo Hops are mentioned.

So your recommendation for Cryo Hops is to make a T95 pellet essentially? Seems like it could be a real fidgety kind of process depending on variability in the pellets you use. I'm starting to get a little more clarity on American Noble hops though. Still not sure where I can get them though.

The hop farming process is probably the most concise/complete one I've heard. I feel like a lot of other places have left out some of those steps. Great summary.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 02:39:33 pm »
I had some of the same thoughts as others: Pastry stout is not a thing (In Central IL). Peanut butter stout? Yes. I would say it's not a true trend the way NEPA/hazy IPAs or Gose was.

Experimental Brewing drinking game: Take a sip whenever Cryo Hops are mentioned.

So your recommendation for Cryo Hops is to make a T95 pellet essentially? Seems like it could be a real fidgety kind of process depending on variability in the pellets you use. I'm starting to get a little more clarity on American Noble hops though. Still not sure where I can get them though.

The hop farming process is probably the most concise/complete one I've heard. I feel like a lot of other places have left out some of those steps. Great summary.

Cryo hops get mentioned a lot because they're new and different and we're excited by the possibilities.  But that also means brewers are learning how to use them and what process makes them shine.  For myself, I'm excited about the experimental possibilities.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 02:59:33 pm »
Not knocking you, just having fun listening while sending a bunch of emails at work. Happy to get more info.

Side question: Any thought on upgrading the uke to a banjo-ukelele? From the glorious days when everything was a banjo? And there were banjo orchestras?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 03:26:49 pm »
Not knocking you, just having fun listening while sending a bunch of emails at work. Happy to get more info.

Side question: Any thought on upgrading the uke to a banjo-ukelele? From the glorious days when everything was a banjo? And there were banjo orchestras?

Man, I saw a banjo bass on FB the other day.  So many instruments I want, so little time to play them.

www.dennybrew.com