Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vanilla Extract  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Wayne Baker

• 1st Kit
Vanilla Extract
« on: September 19, 2018, 10:06:55 pm »
How much liquid vanilla extract should I use in a five gallon batch of porter?
Wayne

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Vanilla Extract
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 10:27:10 pm »
I use about 1.5 teaspoons in mine for 5 gallons.  If you want you can start with 1 teaspoon then add more at 1/2 teaspoon at a time if it needs more based on flavor.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 08:34:51 am »
Wayne

You're really the onlyu one who can decide that.  We don't know what your beer tastes like or the flavor and strength of the extract.  The best thing to do would be add to taste after fermentation.  Pour 4 small ,measured  samples of the beer.  Add a different, measured amount of extract to each.  Taste, determine which you like best, then scale that amount of extract to you batch size.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 07:01:33 am »
Wayne

You're really the onlyu one who can decide that.  We don't know what your beer tastes like or the flavor and strength of the extract.  The best thing to do would be add to taste after fermentation.  Pour 4 small ,measured  samples of the beer.  Add a different, measured amount of extract to each.  Taste, determine which you like best, then scale that amount of extract to you batch size.

+1

It really depends on the style of Porter you’re brewing.  A Brown Porter, for example, would require much less flavoring than a Baltic Porter - in my opinion.  So denny’s Instruction would be the best way to approach the solution.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉