Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cottage licensed kitchen.  (Read 2346 times)

Offline bfslovick

• 1st Kit
    • Delta Brewing Club
cottage licensed kitchen.
« on: September 14, 2018, 03:46:53 pm »
Anyone else run into a problem with being unable to have a homebrew competition at a brew fest because the health department insisted that all brew served had to be prepared in a certified commercial or cottage licensed kitchen. Beer isn't even on the allowed list in the state of California where the brew fest is to take place.
Bev Slovick
Vice President
Delta Brewing Club

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: cottage licensed kitchen.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 03:50:38 pm »
Wow. I hope not. I am planning to serve alongside 40+ other homebrewers for a fundraiser tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 04:34:43 pm »
Anyone else run into a problem with being unable to have a homebrew competition at a brew fest because the health department insisted that all brew served had to be prepared in a certified commercial or cottage licensed kitchen. Beer isn't even on the allowed list in the state of California where the brew fest is to take place.

Unless the beer festival is run by a non-profit, I don't think it is legal under California law to serve homebrew at a beer festival.  Only non-profits are allowed to serve (sell) homebrew to the public.

You can find the California homebrew law here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrewing-rights/statutes/California/.

I seem to recall something coming up in the past with the health department and a Brewing Network event where homebrew was going to be served.  I'll see if we can dig up some more info on that.

I know that homebrewer in Nevada have run into issues with their state health department. 
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline bfslovick

• 1st Kit
    • Delta Brewing Club
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 06:15:32 pm »
The event is hosted by a local Chamber of Commerce. They are a 503 (c) 6. Apparently, there is some confusion concerning the conflicting regulations from the California Alcohol and Beverage Control and the California Department of Public Health that has caused this challenge. The event is tomorrow, Saturday, & the Health Dept. advised them on Wednesday that they are now requiring all brews being dispensed, including homebrews, be prepared in a certified commercial or cottage licensed kitchen & they will be on site inspecting certifications at the event. Homebrewing isn't even on the allowed items list for cottage licensed kitchen by the California Department of Public Health.
Bev Slovick
Vice President
Delta Brewing Club

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 11:21:15 am »
Did the event happen?

I gather it depends on county health regulators understanding of the homebrew law.  Last year, The Brewing Network was not allowed to serve homebrew at their event, but this year it was allowed, citing the homebrew law.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline Harymol

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 10:15:30 am »
Sorry to bother you, but don't you know, is this rule still actual?
If the answer is yes, then it's very frustrating.
I like to make beer for myself. It's a fascinating thing to do. I even bought myself a beautiful worktop from Quartz Worktops York and high-performance technology to make it more fun. I also wanted to enter the competition at a brew fest this year until I read this news. I'm so upset, you can't even imagine how much.
I hope that this time the rules will change and it will be allowed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 05:46:59 pm by Harymol »