Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What Variety of Maris Otter do You Use?  (Read 4698 times)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: What Variety of Maris Otter do You Use?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 01:08:41 pm »
I was always in the opinion that barley variety matter.

Look at Weyermann German Pilsner, Bohemian Pilsner and Barke Pilsner. Different barley Malted in the same facility (most likely the same way) {I could be wrong}.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 02:06:26 pm »

Look at Weyermann German Pilsner, Bohemian Pilsner and Barke Pilsner. Different barley Malted in the same facility (most likely the same way) {I could be wrong}.
My position remains that variety matters, and yet does not.  Let me explain.  A good maltster, with a good process, can make better malt from any barley variety than an inferior maltster can make from the same barley.  A truly inferior maltster can still make poor malt from the best barley.  So within a given maltster's range, a certain variety may be preferred for certain properties.  But one maltster's best product may be inferior to another's most generic grade.  To make the best beer possible, you need the best ingredients available at the time.  For me that generally starts with choosing a trusted maltster, then deciding if a certain beer demands a specialty product from their range, if such a product is currently available.  So I think the question posed in this topic -- whose MO do you prefer -- probably will point to a maltster any of whose products you would find superior to the products of other producers, maybe even to the extent that you'd prefer their basic pale malt to another's MO.   Variety is not magic; each malt must be evaluated on its own merits.

PS.  I currently am fanatical about the Weyermann Barke line, Thirsty_Monk.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 02:11:16 pm »

My position remains that variety matters, and yet does not.  Let me explain.  A good maltster, with a good process, can make better malt from any barley variety than an inferior maltster can make from the same barley.  A truly inferior maltster can still make poor malt from the best barley.  So within a given maltster's range, a certain variety may be preferred for certain properties.  But one maltster's best product may be inferior to another's most generic grade.  To make the best beer possible, you need the best ingredients available at the time.  For me that generally starts with choosing a trusted maltster, then deciding if a certain beer demands a specialty product from their range, if such a product is currently available.  So I think the question posed in this topic -- whose MO do you prefer -- probably will point to a maltster any of whose products you would find superior to the products of other producers, maybe even to the extent that you'd prefer their basic pale malt to another's MO.   Variety is not magic; each malt must be evaluated on its own merits.

But given a standardized malting process, variety makes a big difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 02:32:03 pm »

Exactly.   It's just that variety isn't everything.   You need good process first.  I'm curious, Denny, have you had the opportunity to compare Full Pint pale malts from, say, MG and other producers? 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 02:51:42 pm »

Exactly.   It's just that variety isn't everything.   You need good process first.  I'm curious, Denny, have you had the opportunity to compare Full Pint pale malts from, say, MG and other producers?

Yeah, a number of the craft maltster here are using Full Pint.  As you say, waiting makes a difference, but there's an underlying flavor they all have.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 03:12:59 pm »
I have attended “Malt U” a couple of times.

Since every barley (the same year different field/area) have a different levels of protein,FAN and whatever else maltsters adjust their recipe to achieve consistent product. This is usually done in steeping process. Different barley variety might be Malted differently as well. One last thing is that they also blend different batches to make unified product.

If your brewery is large enough to take full batch, they will Malt to your specifications.

Maltsters can do a lot of things in the process by steeping to get you a Malt that has a good extract and preform well in the brewhouse and with killing to develop flavor but flavorful barley variety can give you a big boost.

Barke barley is an heirloom variety.

I am very happy that we are starting to talk about barley as a flavor developer then just talk about hops.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Online BrewBama

What Variety of Maris Otter do You Use?
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 06:23:20 pm »
I find it interesting that Seth is especially interested in Full Pint crosses. I’ve been using Full Pint as a base a lot lately. I especially like to blend it with Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Munich, and Vienna. I’ve had great brewhouse success with it but of course the ultimate characteristic is taste. I really like its contribution in the beers I’ve been brewing. I can begin to understand his interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:49:32 am by BrewBama »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 08:31:07 am »
More on my Maris Otter post.  FWIW, I recently used Crisp for my coffee porter and my Irish Red ales because I still have some on hand here.  I got about 6% lower extraction from it than I have with Munton's in the past with no changes in my brewing procedure.  The flavor in the above two beers is good although the porter seemed a slight bit thin (I will evaluate it more as it has some age to it because it was really young and had not had time for the flavors to meld).

Because of ease of availability, I think I am going to return to Munton's as a base malt for my English beers since I have a bit more consistency with it.  That said I am intrigued by Barke and Full Pint and might try them sometime depending on availability.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 09:53:05 am »
^^^^
The Crisp malt is straight MO, whereas the Muntons is a blend that contains enough MO to legally call it that and get the flavor, otherwise it is blended to achieve the consistency in performance you've noticed.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 11:25:19 am »
^^^^
The Crisp malt is straight MO, whereas the Muntons is a blend that contains enough MO to legally call it that and get the flavor, otherwise it is blended to achieve the consistency in performance you've noticed.
Munton's maris otter extract claims  "at least 60% maris otter".
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2019, 11:41:13 am »
^^^^

You can but bags of Munton's 100% MO for a premium.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!