Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DIY FERMENTATION CHAMBER- Fits up to 6 Gallon Carboy with Airlock. 32°F to 90°F+  (Read 2818 times)

Offline SCBeerDude7

• 1st Kit

Here's a link to my walkthrough for fabricating my DIY temperature controlled fermentation chamber.  I just completed this build recently.  Temperature range is 32°F to 90°F+.  Can go higher than 90°F if the ambient temperature is warmer.  Fits a full size 6 gallon glass carboy and airlock without modifying the cabinet!  Precise temperature control and looks amazing.

This can be used to ferment your wort, cider, wine, etc. at exact temperatures levels or use in cold crashing or diacetyl rests.

YOUTUBE VIDEO WALKTHROUGH:  https://youtu.be/E6eO0iZ7kIQ

If any questions, feel free to post them and I'll do my best to answer.  ENJOY!

Temperature testing at different setpoints:

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Nice!  What is that refrigerator model?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline SCBeerDude7

• 1st Kit

Brewbama, I'm not home at the moment and I can't remember off the top of my head, but I did list all of the materials used in the Youtube video, including point of purchase, price, and model.

Offline SCBeerDude7

• 1st Kit

Ok I was able to look that up for you now.

Brand: Kalamera
Model: KRC-52SZF
Factory temperature range: 40°F to 66°F

I researched different models to find which one had a smaller step at the bottom rear interior and which had interior dimensions that would fit a large carboy without having to cut doors, add wood spacers to make more interior space, or things of that nature.  This model fits a 6 gallon carboy and airlock on top without doing a thing.  The only problem with this model (for my purposes) is that the manufacturer limited the temperature setpoint range too tightly.
This is why I added an Emerson Dixell XR30CX temperature controller and rewired the evaporator fans.

With the XR30CX I can adjust the setpoint limits to the absolute limits the refrigeration system can handle.
For example, I could have this fridge cool to well below freezing if I wanted, but this would result in a frozen coil and I'd lose cooling ability (undesirable).

In the end I decided to assign my setpoint boundaries from 31°F to 120°F with a Hysteresis/Differential of 4°F and the evap fans re-wired to run continuously at all times.  On an XR30CX the compressor cut-off is at your setpoint and the compressor cut in is "x" degrees above that setpoint as determined by your hysteresis setting (Hy).

With my settings the fridge can now get down to 32°F, instead of the factory limit of 40°F.  This can be reached, because I bypassed the factory controllers setpoint boundary and have the evap fans still running during compressor off-cycle (cycle defrost).

The fridge can warm up to 90°F, instead of the factory limit of 66°F.  << Through heat generated by evap fan motors and compressor not running.

I have this fridge in the garage, so if the ambient temp was 85°F or higher in the Summer, then the fridge should be able to heat even higher (in the 100's).  Interior temps of 100°F+ may not necessarily be needed for fermentation, it would allow for experimentation at these higher temps if so desired.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 07:07:22 pm by SCBeerDude7 »