Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Secondary ferment SG increases any ideas?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Tim

• 1st Kit
  • Hurray Beer!
Secondary ferment SG increases any ideas?
« on: September 15, 2018, 07:03:17 am »
I secondary most of my beers just for that clarity.  I usually wait until the SG in the primary has pretty much bottomed out then rack to secondary for a few days.  This generally produces some real clear beers and very tasty.  However, the last two that I racked to secondary the SG went up .002 and didn't work back down.  I thought it was because I moved the primary and may have shook it just a bit.  So, the next one I racked without moving the primary and the SG went up again.  Any thoughts?
Daytona Brew Club

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Secondary ferment SG increases any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 07:12:05 am »
I usually see the same thing after crashing.  I just assume that in the really clear beer I'm getting a more accurate reading, though I haven't thought through the mechanics of what might be going on.  At least you know it's not still going down, and the difference is really barely significant.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 07:29:54 am »
Another thought is that you might have some CO2  bubbles coming out of solution after racking that are sticking to the side of the hydrometer and causing it to read higher.  I always give mine a twirl in the test jar to dislodge them and then let it sit for several minutes to stabilize.  FYI, I read my gravities in degrees Plato and find that the extra time allows the hydrometer and the internal compensation thermometer to settle in to get a more accurate reading.  Learned that and switched from SG to degrees Plato when I was doing my pro-brewer gig.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 07:32:33 am »
Temperature has a significant impact on gravity readings.  Also, it's not always easy to read a hydro.  The error rate in reading one is about + or - 0.002.  So if you're still within that 0.002, it's not even a significant error.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 08:31:26 am »
Temperature has a significant impact on gravity readings.  Also, it's not always easy to read a hydro.  The error rate in reading one is about + or - 0.002.  So if you're still within that 0.002, it's not even a significant error.

+1. I was thinking as I read this that .002 is well within tolerance in my brewhaus. Interesting phenomenon though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 10:15:43 am »

+1. I was thinking as I read this that .002 is well within tolerance in my brewhaus. Interesting phenomenon though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+2
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Tim

• 1st Kit
  • Hurray Beer!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 03:54:33 pm »
Thanks folks.  Seems all is well.  I've been using the Tilt hydrometer to monitor the progress, but always double check with a hydrometer before racking.  I did find out the hard way how temp affects the reading; all mistakes are learning experiences.

Thanks again for the info.
Daytona Brew Club