Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: HERMS Upgrade  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
HERMS Upgrade
« on: June 21, 2018, 07:54:33 pm »
Hi all,

I am wanting to upgrade to a HERMS in the near future.  I've done some research but I want to hear what you guys have to say.  Where would you start with your purchases?  What would you do differently if you did it over again?  Should I just go for the 10 gallon system right off the bat? What controller should I get?  I have some experience with Arduino coding and I own an Arduino Romeo board... Can I use that somehow?

Just putting my feelers out there to get an idea of how I should go.  For reference I currently have a 5 gallon system of SS Brewtech MT and BK.  I have a chugger pump and a diedra plate chiller.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
Re: HERMS Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 04:46:12 pm »
I am also wanting to upgrade to a HERMS system. I looked into using the Arduino, looks to me like it would work very well, but I decided against that route (not familiar with the coding, yet). I decided to go with a design based on http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/, using three converted kegs (I figured it would be best to allow for 10 gallon batches, can always brew smaller). Made some minor modifications to their design, and have started purchasing components.I still have a long way to go, but it is coming.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 08:51:13 am »
I am also wanting to upgrade to a HERMS system. I looked into using the Arduino, looks to me like it would work very well, but I decided against that route (not familiar with the coding, yet). I decided to go with a design based on http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/, using three converted kegs (I figured it would be best to allow for 10 gallon batches, can always brew smaller). Made some minor modifications to their design, and have started purchasing components.I still have a long way to go, but it is coming.

David, If you live in WVC, UT we should get together for a brew day!  I live in Sandy!  HMU on personal message and lets brew something!

Jared
Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 12:37:58 pm »
I switched to an all-electric HERMS this year.  I started about a year ago and was intending to modify my existing system (propane-fired keggles) and to try to model it after the Spike System from Spike Brewing.  Once I priced out all the fittings, components, controls and some necessary electrical work, it didn't cost a crazy amount more to just buy the Spike System with 15-gallon kettles and control panel - so that's what I did.  I've passed the propane system on to my son, who also brews.

Of course, you could do it on your own for less money and a lot more time spent on building & assembly - especially if you don't use all stainless fittings and build a somewhat stripped-back control system.  Those things can always be upgraded over time.  I'm at the point in my life, though, where I have enough discretionary income to spend my time brewing instead of wiring a control panel.  All that said, I'm really happy with the new system and wouldn't change much of anything.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 11:52:37 am »
I am in the process right now of putting together a new electric HERMS system. It's a turnkey system made by High Gravity Brewing... their 5-10 gallon 3-vessel rig. I like that they offer a variety of options. From kettles to pumps to chillers etc in different price ranges. For example, I wanted two Rip Tide pumps which added extra cost so I went with less expensive Bayou Classic kettles for the HLT and MT. I also chose not to get a chiller since I already have one. Dave at High Gravity is also really good with quick answers if you have questions. Yeah, I could build a similar system but I have neither the time or the inclination to do so.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato