Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops, Hops, and More Hops Preseason and Closeout  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Hops, Hops, and More Hops Preseason and Closeout
« on: October 31, 2021, 12:21:08 pm »
Did anyone else receive this list from Ted Hausotter?  There are several good buys on this list.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hops, Hops, and More Hops Preseason and Closeout
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 12:24:30 pm »
Yep, got it.  I'm already well stocked on continental hops, and other than that use mainly cryo.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 01:27:26 pm »
Yeah, me too!  I purchased so many pounds of hops in 2020 that I may not have to buy for another two years.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 05:58:26 pm »
I don’t brew enough to buy from Ted like I used to.

I do buy per crop yr from YCH for my anticipated needs for the upcoming year.

I am also sold on Cryo. The flavor is hands down worth the additional cost. Less chlorophyll and more Terpenes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 08:42:24 am »
Just purchased two pounds of Tettnanger whole leaf from Ted.
Two freezers, full of hops now. Might last us for a couple years.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 12:29:02 pm »
I was pretty psyched to see some NZ varieties on his list this year. I exchanged a few email with Ted wondering if he was planning on carrying Cryo hops. He said he wasn't at the moment, but he is looking into a few other advanced hop products. I'll be looking forward to those.

Like others here, I tend to use Hop Heaven to stock up on lager and other import hops for the season. I have turned to using Cryo hops for my IPA's whenever possible, because the results are far and away superior to traditional pellets when used as late or dry hops, especially when used in IPA quantities. It is interesting that Yakima Chief is offering varieties that aren't traditionally used in IPA's to commercial brewers (Cluster, Crystal, Mt. Hood, Galena, Willamette, among others). I'd be interested in trying out some of these in lagers, or seeing what they can do at IPA utilization rates.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 12:32:50 pm »
I was pretty psyched to see some NZ varieties on his list this year. I exchanged a few email with Ted wondering if he was planning on carrying Cryo hops. He said he wasn't at the moment, but he is looking into a few other advanced hop products. I'll be looking forward to those.

Like others here, I tend to use Hop Heaven to stock up on lager and other import hops for the season. I have turned to using Cryo hops for my IPA's whenever possible, because the results are far and away superior to traditional pellets when used as late or dry hops, especially when used in IPA quantities. It is interesting that Yakima Chief is offering varieties that aren't traditionally used in IPA's to commercial brewers (Cluster, Crystal, Mt. Hood, Galena, Willamette, among others). I'd be interested in trying out some of these in lagers, or seeing what they can do at IPA utilization rates.

FWIW, I just used Cluster and some other seldom seen varieties (like Comet) in my "homage" to Ballantine IPA.  I'm very happy with how they worked.  And why not just buy cryo from YCH as opposed to Ted?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 12:49:14 pm »

FWIW, I just used Cluster and some other seldom seen varieties (like Comet) in my "homage" to Ballantine IPA.  I'm very happy with how they worked.  And why not just buy cryo from YCH as opposed to Ted?
I do. I would consider buying from Ted simply for potential price breaks and saving on shipping when buying in bulk and stocking up for the year in one shipment.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 02:50:10 pm »
I don’t brew enough to buy from Ted like I used to.

I do buy per crop yr from YCH for my anticipated needs for the upcoming year.

I am also sold on Cryo. The flavor is hands down worth the additional cost. Less chlorophyll and more Terpenes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chlorophyll, more like BOROPHYLL!!!

Haven't used Cryohops in several years. Might be time to revisit those when I buy my hops for the year.
Jesse