Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B and haze, redux  (Read 4334 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Brewtan B and haze, redux
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 08:15:24 am »
It makes perfect sense now that it's out there. If Tanal A was substituted for Tanal B (BrewTan is just a rebranded version of Tanal B) than people's haze issues are explained rather easily.
Maybe the mystery purple too?

Big Monk

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 09:19:34 am »
It makes perfect sense now that it's out there. If Tanal A was substituted for Tanal B (BrewTan is just a rebranded version of Tanal B) than people's haze issues are explained rather easily.

Maybe? That I think has more to do with source water iron than anything else though. IIRC, people using RO and Distilled werent getting the purple people eater hue.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 10:07:44 am »

Maybe? That I think has more to do with source water iron than anything else though. IIRC, people using RO and Distilled werent getting the purple people eater hue.

And I get it sometimes but not others, using the same water.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 10:39:22 am »

What's the source?

It could be variations in source water (assuming municipal/private source) but it may also be something to do with grain. Assuming a fluctuating iron content in the grain, it may come and go.

Just thinking out loud.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 11:18:20 am »

What's the source?

It could be variations in source water (assuming municipal/private source) but it may also be something to do with grain. Assuming a fluctuating iron content in the grain, it may come and go.

Just thinking out loud.

Water is from my well, which is remarkably consistent over the years.  The color shows up before adding grain, so that wouldn't have any influence.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 11:29:49 am »

What's the source?

Just thinking out loud.

Water is from my well, which is remarkably consistent over the years.  The color shows up before adding grain, so that wouldn't have any influence.

Trace metals would be the culprit based on what I know. Do you test your water regularly? It's really the only thing I can think of.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 11:31:36 am »
I got a pinkish tint once or twice. I use distilled water doctored up with Bru’n water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Monk

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 11:45:16 am »
I got a pinkish tint once or twice. I use distilled water doctored up with Bru’n water.

Interacting with vessel metals maybe? I wonder how many people are passivating their vessels.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 11:50:08 am »
Trace metals would be the culprit based on what I know. Do you test your water regularly? It's really the only thing I can think of.

Once a year.  Never a sign of trace metals.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 11:51:01 am »

Interacting with vessel metals maybe? I wonder how many people are passivating their vessels.

I heat my water in an AL kettle.  I do nothing to passivate it, but it does have a thick oxide layer.  Not to mention that I use it every time.

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 11:59:46 am »

I heat my water in an AL kettle.  I do nothing to passivate it, but it does have a thick oxide layer.  Not to mention that I use it every time.

I'm stumped then!

It's the BTB precipitating out something. Typically you'd think of iron or traced metals because common sense and the literature points to that. Since you said you see it before grains added, you can rule out grain contribution. The only thing left would be reacting with the vessel.

Not sure man. I've never experienced the purple so I can't add anything other than saying for people who experience it to compare and contrast and see where there is overlap.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 12:12:54 pm »

I'm stumped then!

It's the BTB precipitating out something. Typically you'd think of iron or traced metals because common sense and the literature points to that. Since you said you see it before grains added, you can rule out grain contribution. The only thing left would be reacting with the vessel.

Not sure man. I've never experienced the purple so I can't add anything other than saying for people who experience it to compare and contrast and see where there is overlap.

I'm stumped, too, but in reality it doesn't matter.  The beer turns out the same either way.  And it's not always purple...sometimes greenish.  But I consider it a curiosity rather than a problem.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 02:03:32 pm »
They say that gallotannins (active ingredient in Brewtan) are mixed with iron to create black or blue ink. The slight color that we see in Brewtan treated water is consistent with that coloration. Its just that its much more dilute.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 02:59:20 pm »
They say that gallotannins (active ingredient in Brewtan) are mixed with iron to create black or blue ink. The slight color that we see in Brewtan treated water is consistent with that coloration. Its just that its much more dilute.
Right, "iron gall ink" was the main ink from at least the middle ages until the 20th century.  It starts bluish-black, but you've no doubt seen pictures of old documents where it is fading to reddish brown.  Apparently that range of colors is natural to the complex, and it seems to fit the range of descriptions of water here.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 01:44:48 pm »
The information says that it works through adsorption and precipitation, leaving the proteins behind with the spent grains in the mash. Would that work equally well with BIAB?
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's