Author Topic: Tilt Refractometer  (Read 891 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
    • Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
Re: Tilt Refractometer
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 04:03:44 AM »
DM,
Have you used your Tilt?
I just received mine today and will be putting it to the test Sunday.

Not yet but very soon.  I actually have several beers on deck for the next week or two.  One of them will get the Tilt treatment.  Have fun.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jverduin

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Tilt Refractometer
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 01:54:15 AM »
I received a Tilt from my wonderfully supportive wife. In water, it read 1.000 when getting the app fired up and connecting to a Google sheet.

I added a 1.065 OG wort to the fermenter. This was measured wirh a refractometer calibrated by distilled water. The Tilt, which immediately was surrounded in foam, read about .009 points low at 1.056. It stayed low throughout fermentation.

It definitely had steady readings on day 5, but when a dry hopped, it went up about .002 points (maybe from hop residue sticking to the tilt. It did drop again about 14 hrs later.

I did not try to recalibrate once in wort. I figured I’d watch it go.

Final gravity readings match between Tilt and a hydrometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline uslackr

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 02:31:05 AM »
IMO, the beauty of the Tilt is in the progress tracking of SG and temp, not the specific readings.  I combine it with Fermentrack and a RaspberryPi so I watch fermentation progress and can tell when it is likely done.(and it frees you from the smartphone). 
The Tilt also shows you how fast and usually front-loaded fermentation is. I was amazed to see how quickly it moves.

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 02:55:56 AM »
I finally got final results for my first batch with my new Tilt.

My hydrometer, refractometer, and Tilt all match exactly at FG=1.012 for a Biere de Garde that started at 1.059.

I'm tickled that they are all giving exactly the same number.

Of course, I've been super anal-retentive about calibrating each one of my gauges with absolute perfection, or as perfect as an idiot like me possibly can anyway.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HopDen

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 10:53:48 PM »

My hydrometer, refractometer, and Tilt all match exactly at FG=1.012 for a Biere de Garde that started at 1.059.

Of course, I've been super anal-retentive about calibrating each one of my gauges with absolute perfection, or as perfect as an idiot like me possibly can anyway.

Same here too! My Tilt was off by 1 point though. Finished that batch, cleaned it and sanitized. I put it straight into a 1.097 Imperial Stout, watched over the course of 3 days and then nothing! Battery must be caput!

The first beer I put it in was a Kolsch. After fermentation (14 days), cold crashed to 34* for 10 days. So I basically got 27 days on the battery. I hope it was just a weak battery out of the box. I would assume one should get more than 27 days worth of reads.

Might be one and done!

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 01:51:10 AM »

Same here too! My Tilt was off by 1 point though. Finished that batch, cleaned it and sanitized. I put it straight into a 1.097 Imperial Stout, watched over the course of 3 days and then nothing! Battery must be caput!

The first beer I put it in was a Kolsch. After fermentation (14 days), cold crashed to 34* for 10 days. So I basically got 27 days on the battery. I hope it was just a weak battery out of the box. I would assume one should get more than 27 days worth of reads.

Might be one and done!

I had the Tilt sitting horizontal for about a month before I found out that it has to be kept vertical when not in use to save the battery.  It still is blinking green today, even after that month plus the recent batch, so my battery is doing okay.  Have you been storing yours vertical?
Dave