Graff
0 (0%)
Don't know what it is so can't choose
2 (50%)
It's "Beer", duh
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: September 30, 2018, 04:16:52 pm

Author Topic: What is the proper spelling?  (Read 1600 times)

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
What is the proper spelling?
« on: September 23, 2018, 04:16:52 pm »
I have been trying to figure out what is the correct spelling for a Beer/Cider blend. Seems it is both ways. So I have decided t set a poll and that is how I will spell it from now on.
John
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What is the proper spelling?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 04:42:00 pm »
S-N-A-K-E-B-I-T-E.  8)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 05:51:02 pm »
"Apple Ale"
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 09:39:32 am »
I thought this was going to be fermenter/fermentor.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 02:28:07 pm »
This AHA article uses the "graf" spelling: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/how-to-make-graf-a-cider-beer-hybrid/.

I haven't yet, but plan to read the Dark Tower series some day.   I'm assuming it's also spelled with only one "f" in the book.

Before seeing your post and doing some searching, I could not have told you what a graf is.  I think either spelling will require an explanation for most people.  I'd go with apple beer/ale.  Or if the beverage is leaning toward the cider side, you could call it a malted cider.

I still run in to people who don't know what mead is.  Trying to explain a graf could be a long conversation ;)

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 12:09:57 pm »
So this was seriously inconclusive.
So I have added a couple of other options to give you all at least something to click on.  :D

To give you a little background as to why this came up.
I was selected to be part of a Pro/Am competition. I was assigned to a cider house. They are part of a larger brewery so I had the option to make something with cider/beer. I did a small batch and presented it to the brewers and they liked it enough to go forward. After talking about it and coming up with a recipe we brewed 6 barrels on Thursday. So now we need a name. I have an idea as it is a play on words to use in place of "graph".

So wish me luck. And I will post the final name and results later.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 05:23:24 pm »
Follow up. The spelling I used was graff. I did this because it looked better. We decided on the name Pie Graff. After adding apple pie spices it worked out well. I got good reviews but did not take home peoples choice or judges awards. Still a very nice drinkable brew.
Lots of fun doing this Pro/Am event. Will enter again next year and hope to get picked to do it again.

So anyone out there who passes up the opportunity to do a Pro/Am event, I would say that you must put aside any fears you have and give it a try. It was way more fun than I thought it would be and brewing 6 barrels is just amazing. I don't know if I would ever go Pro, but now I can say I have half the knowledge of what a brewery is like.

John D.

Offline Kochhandwerk

• Cellarman
    • koch.technology
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 12:52:46 pm »
New Belgium plus a considerable number of homebrewers use the spelling "Graff". I am a huge Stephen King / Dark Tower nerd, so I spell it like he does in the series, Graf. I don't know enough about its history to know if the name was entirely his invention or he found something similar in research, but I believe it's just made-up and probably akin to the phrase grog. I make mine with 4 gallons of apple juice for a five gallon batch and usually aim for a low FG and around 9% ABV.  In the books, the characters remark that it can be quite strong, but isn't always made that way.