Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Unibroue  (Read 2751 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Unibroue
« on: September 22, 2018, 09:49:55 am »
I know I'm not the only Unibroue fan around these parts. I noticed that WY3864 is being released as one of the fall PC yeasts, and thought I'd pass it along. I know Farmhouse has it in stock, so check your favorite Wyeast dealers.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Unibroue
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 10:02:14 am »
it's only around until 10/1.  It was part of the Belgian Summer release. Oct. 1 the fall strains come out.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 01:00:53 pm »
it's only around until 10/1.  It was part of the Belgian Summer release. Oct. 1 the fall strains come out.
Thanks! When I saw it in my email I had assumed that it was a new release. Placing that order now...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 01:02:59 pm »
Thanks! When I saw it in my email I had assumed that it was a new release. Placing that order now...

I just cut the ad for the 4th q PCs, so it was on my mind.  BTW, for lager makers, they're bringing back the Staropramen yeast, which I really like

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 05:54:48 pm »
Denny,

I know you have been bringing these out. Sending you a big thanks for this. I did resurrect my old yeast and have kept it going. Love that strain and I will get a fresh stock. I remember talking about it with you in the spring. A huge thanks and it is no doubt my favorite B strain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 10:00:12 am »
Denny,

I know you have been bringing these out. Sending you a big thanks for this. I did resurrect my old yeast and have kept it going. Love that strain and I will get a fresh stock. I remember talking about it with you in the spring. A huge thanks and it is no doubt my favorite B strain.

we got to pick the PCs last year, but this year it's all Wyeast.  I want to look into them taking suggestion s from this forum for next year.  No promises.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 11:23:52 am »
I know I'm not the only Unibroue fan around these parts. I noticed that WY3864 is being released as one of the fall PC yeasts, and thought I'd pass it along. I know Farmhouse has it in stock, so check your favorite Wyeast dealers.

Yeah, I bought two packs last week and pitched some into a Tripel yesterday afternoon.  I'm going to try to get 3 batches per pack, unless I get sick of it before then.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 03:28:39 pm »

Yeah, I bought two packs last week and pitched some into a Tripel yesterday afternoon.  I'm going to try to get 3 batches per pack, unless I get sick of it before then.
I can’t get sick of this yeast, especially my Triple. That said I only brew it a few times a year.
Now that I received 2 fresh snacks yesterday, I hope to use it in a few different styles.

Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 03:29:40 pm »
Denny,

we got to pick the PCs last year, but this year it's all Wyeast.  I want to look into them taking suggestion s from this forum for next year.  No promises.
I got ya, thanks for putting us out there.

Jeff B

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 04:03:51 pm »
I'll be tasting my tripel with the Unibroue yeast in the next day or two.  Smelled great during ferment.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 10:15:44 am »
I'll be tasting my tripel with the Unibroue yeast in the next day or two.  Smelled great during ferment.

What temp(s) did you run that ferment at?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 05:20:07 pm »
Mine started at 65 F and finished at 73 F.  Not sure yet how it tastes..... give me another day I think....
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 11:44:44 am »
Mine started at 65 F and finished at 73 F.  Not sure yet how it tastes..... give me another day I think....

I started mine at 68° and let it finish at 72°.  This morning, which is 7.5 days after pitching, the Tilt hydrometer was reading 1.007.  There's still a small amount of air lock activity though. 

I'm going to keg it this weekend.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 12:47:56 pm »

I started mine at 68° and let it finish at 72°.  This morning, which is 7.5 days after pitching, the Tilt hydrometer was reading 1.007.  There's still a small amount of air lock activity though. 

I'm going to keg it this weekend.

Mine went from 1.071 to 1.010 in 5 days in upper 60s average as stated.  It hasn't shown any signs of fermentation in a week.  I just racked it yesterday.  It's very hazy -- probably my own fault/recipe.  I'll be adding gelatin tonight.  Tastes phenomenal -- dry, clove, "Belgian" phenols, and lets the malt come through.

This was a split batch with the Danstar/Lallemand Abbaye in the other half.  The Abbaye by comparison is just bad -- huge apple ester, no phenols, solventy, none of the lovely malt flavor.  Very clear though, no haze.  Same boil, same everything, only difference was the yeast pitched.  I dumped it down the drain, it's gone.  I could drink it, but it wasn't anywhere close to as great as the 3864.  FG was identical, 1.010.  Same fermentation conditions, same everything.  But it was not good at all, not worth keeping or even blending or souring or anything else.  Also I had played with the Abbaye previously, with same results, dumper.  I'll never use that yeast again.

It's been so long since I've had any success with a Belgian.  WLP530 has given me mixed results over the years, sometimes excellent, other times not.  I've also tried 3787 and 3944, which didn't impress me either.  None as great as this 3864, except for one time with WLP530 where it scored 41.  Haven't been able to duplicate that though.  I like to think I'm learning... but I think I'm just lucky, unlucky, lucky, unlucky, ad nauseum.
Dave

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 01:09:31 pm »

It's very hazy -- probably my own fault/recipe.

I doubt it, that yeast just doesn't clear very well.  Do a Google image search for Fin Du Monde; it's a hazy beer.

This was a split batch with the Danstar/Lallemand Abbaye in the other half.  The Abbaye by comparison is just bad -- huge apple ester, no phenols, solventy, none of the lovely malt flavor.  Very clear though, no haze.  Same boil, same everything, only difference was the yeast pitched.  I dumped it down the drain, it's gone.  I could drink it, but it wasn't anywhere close to as great as the 3864.  FG was identical, 1.010.  Same fermentation conditions, same everything.  But it was not good at all, not worth keeping or even blending or souring or anything else.  Also I had played with the Abbaye previously, with same results, dumper.  I'll never use that yeast again.

It's been so long since I've had any success with a Belgian.  WLP530 has given me mixed results over the years, sometimes excellent, other times not.  I've also tried 3787 and 3944, which didn't impress me either.  None as great as this 3864, except for one time with WLP530 where it scored 41.  Haven't been able to duplicate that though.  I like to think I'm learning... but I think I'm just lucky, unlucky, lucky, unlucky, ad nauseum.

I didn't dump the batch I tried with dry yeast (it was the Safbrew BE-256), but it wasn't great.  I've pretty much stopped using dry yeast entirely.

I love 3787.  It's probably what I use most frequently.  Omega Triple Double is supposed to be the same strain, but I wasn't impressed with it and am going back to the Wyeast version.