Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Accidentally cooled to 60f after pitching  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Slackjawls

• Cellarman
Accidentally cooled to 60f after pitching
« on: September 25, 2018, 02:40:47 pm »
I pitched two white labs 090 pure pitch pouches into 5 gallons of 1.060 wort at 64f.  An hour and a half later the temp had dropped to 60f.  For whatever reason I set my temp controller to 50f.  I took the carboy out of my fermentation chamber into a room with 68f ambient temp.  It took 36 hours but now I have a healthy active fermentation.

Do you think the sudden cooling after pitching stressed the yeast or will lead to any off flavors?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Accidentally cooled to 60f after pitching
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 03:00:46 pm »
I doubt it. Probably just cost you some time. Heating too far would be more likely to cause trouble than cooling too far.

Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 03:17:58 pm »
Just let it go.  The beer will be fine.  You didn't get it that cold and the yeast will warm up the wort as they do their thing anyway.

I often chill down into the 50's during the winter and then pitch yeasts that don't necessarily work, optimally, at that low a temperature.  It won't hurt the yeast.  I've always believed it's better to start low than to start high.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 03:43:36 pm »
I think the consensus is right - little to no problem is likely from the short term cold temp drop you experienced.  I tried US-05 at lager temperatures a couple different times and I experienced a very low level clove spice that I attributed to the low temperature - it was barely perceptible and possibly was a very low level infection, but it occurred twice.  I really can't say, but it made me swear off ales at lager temperatures for all but the hybrid yeasts like WLP 029.

Brew on fearlessly!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"