Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First yeast plate attempt  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
First yeast plate attempt
« on: September 08, 2018, 11:49:28 am »
So here is my first attempt at streaking a plate. This sample came from wild grapes soaked in a 1.020 starter. Obviously I have some form of mold contamination, is it possible to save what appears to be yeast colonies that the mold hasn't reached yet?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Corripe Cervisiam

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: First yeast plate attempt
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 12:21:27 pm »
Good streak-plating technique, nice job. To your question, it will be difficult. Whatever that mold is, there's undoubtedly billions/trillions of spores that will disperse from the slightest air current. It'll probably be game over as soon as you open the lid. You can maximize your potential for success if you don't create any air current whatsoever as you open the lid and pluck cells. Good luck!

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 12:29:17 pm »
Thanks for the info. I'm on the fence as to whether or not to try to salvage yeast colonies from this plate or just re-same my original culture onto a new plate. I still have the original culture in a test tube.

Corripe Cervisiam

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 06:48:47 pm »
You got this far, why not pull one of those single colonies and prop it up just to see what you get.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 07:18:56 pm »
It looks like you have good single cell colonies in the 4th quadrant. So harvest them with your sterile innoculation loop and grow them up. You might have something there.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 09:35:31 am »
Cool beans.... I shall give it a try. :)
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline csaunders

• 1st Kit
    • Famous Last Worts
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 06:32:32 am »
The mould could be simply from how you were working with your plates while you were streaking out. I've gotten numerous mould growths because of how I was breathing during the streaking.

However, with wild captures it's not uncommon to see moulds growing from your initial blot. You've got lots of nice isolated colonies, so pull one of those onto a new plate and do your streaking again. I doubt you'd end up pulling over mould, however if you do, just keep at it and you'll eventually get a clean plate.

Another thing you can do, is grow your plates in an anaerobic environment. Moulds typically cannot grow without air and your yeast will be fine. You can pull this off using a glass jar with a candle or using a spare keg and purging it with CO2 a few times.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 07:32:08 am »
I ended up grabbing a couple of colonies and propagating it in another 15ml test tube of 1.020 wort. It grew what appears to be a nice, densely packed colony of off white/tan yeast. I'm gonna plate that one and see how it grows. I'll post pics as I go.

Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 04:02:36 am »
The newly streaked plate is coming along nicely with no signs of contamination. We may have something here. :)

Corripe Cervisiam