Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding BJCP Style Water Profiles to Beersmith3  (Read 2079 times)

Offline estrauss

• Cellarman
Adding BJCP Style Water Profiles to Beersmith3
« on: September 27, 2018, 02:31:21 pm »
I was quite happy that Beersmith3 had updated water profile tools. First is that you could match a target water profile. Second is that those water additions would automatically be added to your recipe. The only problem is that I wanted to go beyond the yellow malty, brown dry, etc basic profiles and add profiles customized for each BJCP beer style. In all, it was 72 water profiles that I extracted from that article and entering them in one by one was not something I was up for. I've worked out a method to edit the water.bsmx file directly and do it in a fraction of the time. I've got a post that shows how to do it and I've already done the work to have the information as cut & paste.

Edit:  these are the old BJCP style numbers.  I'll update within a week to the updated standards.

http://fermware.com/beersmith3-bjcp-water-profiles/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:56:45 pm by estrauss »

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Adding BJCP Style Water Profiles to Beersmith3
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 10:44:16 pm »
This looks like a good thing and I went to the web site and read everything. I clicked on the download button but cancelled when it asked for my personal information. It seems like a sneaky way to get email addresses for marketing purposes. Too bad.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline estrauss

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 04:50:16 am »
This looks like a good thing and I went to the web site and read everything. I clicked on the download button but cancelled when it asked for my personal information. It seems like a sneaky way to get email addresses for marketing purposes. Too bad.

There are no bad intentions, simply a way to limit bot traffic.  I had to update my download plugin recently.  I'll look to simplify so people don't get a bad vibe.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:52:51 pm by estrauss »

Offline LeeH

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 07:55:07 am »
Thanks, I’ll take a look at this over the weekend. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline estrauss

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 07:34:02 pm »
I knew there would be updates needed after the initial release of the water profiles for Beersmith3.

It was pointed out to me that the styles I used in the initial post were using the 2008 BJCP style guidelines.  I've since completed a mini research project to map the 2008 numbers to the 2015 numbers and assign what I consider appropriate water profiles to the new styles.

I've made notes in the post on what my decision criteria was for the new styles.  There are now two files that can be downloaded.  One for 2008 BJCP styles and one for 2015 BJCP styles.

I've also removed all download requirements to just an email address for those concerned about privacy.

Same link:
http://fermware.com/beersmith3-bjcp-water-profiles/

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 08:36:42 am »
Here is a additional question to this thread.  Has anyone been able to import finished water profiles from Bru'n Water to Bersmith 3?  I have been playing around with this and haven't figured out how to do it yet.  I just write down the mineral additions for the mash and boil kettle from Martin's program and measure them out rather than having them in the Sessions list on Beersmith 3.  I can manually enter them into the water profile page in Beersmith, but that tends to be a PITA.

Maybe you can shed some light on this Martin?
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline estrauss

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 10:40:20 am »
Here is a additional question to this thread.  Has anyone been able to import finished water profiles from Bru'n Water to Bersmith 3?  I have been playing around with this and haven't figured out how to do it yet.  I just write down the mineral additions for the mash and boil kettle from Martin's program and measure them out rather than having them in the Sessions list on Beersmith 3.  I can manually enter them into the water profile page in Beersmith, but that tends to be a PITA.

Maybe you can shed some light on this Martin?

This is why I gave up and am using the Beersmith water profile calculations.  I hear significant anecdotal evidence from professional and homebrewers on the accuracy of Bru'n Water, but the back and forth was just another step in preparation for my brew day.

It is theoretically possible to import numbers from Bru'n Water to Beersmith, but here is what it would involve.
Export or copy final additions from Bru'n Water to some text or spreadsheet file
Open "Recipe.bsmx" from the Beersmith folder
search for intended recipe and insert Bru'n Water additions.

One could of course do this manually if they wanted, but that is the same (if not more) work than the status quo.

If I was that determined I would write some code to do that, but it would take a decent amount of time to do and I don't have the incentive to do that.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 11:59:10 am »

You don't have to use your everyday email address. Set up a gmail account that you only use when you think you might get spam.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline estrauss

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 12:22:31 pm »

You don't have to use your everyday email address. Set up a gmail account that you only use when you think you might get spam.

Use whatever email address you want.  I do the exact same.  What is helpful though, is that upon updating the files and seeing errors, I was able to contact everyone who downloaded the initial version of the file to update them on the omissions and updates to the new files.