Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Explaining the basics?  (Read 2037 times)

Offline churchill291

• 1st Kit
Explaining the basics?
« on: September 20, 2018, 02:03:25 am »
Hey guys I'm thinking about getting into brewing and was wondering. Sometimes I see informational videos detailing that the guy just uses a yeast packet and dumps it right into the fermenting jar. As of late I've been dabbling in more complex videos and more specific ones at that and noticed that a lot of people. have beakers full of yeast. I assume they're doing this to grow the yeast, but do I need to cultivate it or whatever it maybe before I use it in my brew or can I just dump the packet of yeast in there. Thanks for the help guys. I'm just trying to understand this subtle science.  :D

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Explaining the basics?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 06:06:34 am »
Building up a yeast starter is always a good idea to ensure you have good healthy yeast.  People have less problems with dried yeast that stores refrigerated for many years, but with liquid cultures, the yeast only has a life of approximately 6-9 months from date of manufacture before it's pretty much dead.  Nowadays the yeast companies will put a date of manufacture to help you know the life better.  You can also use a yeast calculator to determine exactly how many packs of yeast or size yeast starter to make for any batch at:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

The above calculator is known to be a bit conservative but it will help you get into the right ballpark.

If/when making yeast starters, use DME and aim to make a specific gravity of about 1.040.  This will grow the yeast without stressing it with very high or very low gravity.

Learn more online everywhere.  Sorry I don't have any specific links.  Starters are easy to make and very helpful.  Not required, but nice to do, for liquid cultures anyway.

With dried yeast, you can and should safely skip a starter because it is so reliable.  It is for that reason that many people including myself are trying to find and use good dried yeasts as much as possible, it's just so much easier.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline churchill291

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 09:55:42 am »
Building up a yeast starter is always a good idea to ensure you have good healthy yeast.  People have less problems with dried yeast that stores refrigerated for many years, but with liquid cultures, the yeast only has a life of approximately 6-9 months from date of manufacture before it's pretty much dead.  Nowadays the yeast companies will put a date of manufacture to help you know the life better.  You can also use a yeast calculator to determine exactly how many packs of yeast or size yeast starter to make for any batch at:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

The above calculator is known to be a bit conservative but it will help you get into the right ballpark.

If/when making yeast starters, use DME and aim to make a specific gravity of about 1.040.  This will grow the yeast without stressing it with very high or very low gravity.

Learn more online everywhere.  Sorry I don't have any specific links.  Starters are easy to make and very helpful.  Not required, but nice to do, for liquid cultures anyway.

With dried yeast, you can and should safely skip a starter because it is so reliable.  It is for that reason that many people including myself are trying to find and use good dried yeasts as much as possible, it's just so much easier.

Hey thats a really good resource. Thanks for the information and I'm gone save that link.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 10:07:05 am »
There's a better and easier way to make starters that was put forth on this forum.  It's all I've been doing for the last 2 years.  I don't use a yeast calculator and I honestly don't know where my stir plate is any more!  Take a look at this...https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/denny/old-dognew-tricks
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:01:29 pm »
There's a better and easier way to make starters that was put forth on this forum.  It's all I've been doing for the last 2 years.  I don't use a yeast calculator and I honestly don't know where my stir plate is any more!  Take a look at this...https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/denny/old-dognew-tricks
Plus me

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 06:57:33 pm »
+2 no more stirplate....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 08:32:47 am »
What's a stirplate?   ;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 10:32:29 am »
Still use the stirplate. 
Running the stirplate keeps yeast in suspension for more even distribution when harvesting.  I deliberately overbuild starters to harvest yeast, then pour off a portion of the starter to save. 

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 07:21:37 am »
I'm in JTs camp. Stirplate, overbuild, keep some for later.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 07:55:06 am »
Though oxygenation is only needed at the outset, a stir plate will keep yeast in suspension -- maximum contact between yeast and medium -- and continually drive off CO2,  both potential benefits.  Your call.  Occasional jostling of the jug might be just as good.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 05:40:26 pm »
When you make a starter in an Erlenmeyer flask, how do you close the top?  I use a foam stopper, but I’ve heard of others using an airlock.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 05:46:01 pm »
Loosely cover with a piece of foil.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 05:47:27 pm »
I put a piece of foil on it when I cold crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk