Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 4 hours in the sun :D  (Read 907 times)

Offline alexdudek

• 1st Kit
4 hours in the sun :D
« on: September 29, 2018, 03:12:51 am »
So I was forced to move some beer out of the fermenting room to make room for a house guest and I forgot to cover 8 gallons of porter in glass carboys. They sat in the sun for about 4 hours. Not direct sun but enough to make my stomach turn when I remembered later in the day. A few laps around google leads me to believe that beer can skunk in minutes with enough light. I plan on kegging and bottling and just hoping for the best come tasting time, but I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation or knows what the likely outcome is.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Re: 4 hours in the sun :D
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 03:21:24 am »
I know dark beers take longer to skunk than lighter colored ones, but 4 hours is a long time.

When you taste, let us know the outcome please.  Probably everyone on the forum has had their "A* S**t" moments.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 04:46:32 am »
If it's skunked, you'll be able to smell/taste it right now. No need to bottle/keg and wait.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 09:29:06 am »
I agree with the first two answers.  Skunking is a reaction that is immediate, but light has to penetrate the beer.  Also the amount of hops in the beer directly affects the outcome, so your porter may not be as reactive as in IPA.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995