Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison fermentation question  (Read 2231 times)

Offline gws

• 1st Kit
  • Greensboro, NC
Saison fermentation question
« on: September 30, 2018, 06:38:22 am »
I brewed the Jack of All Saisons (last month's issue of Zymurgy) yesterday and the Wyeast 3711 (French Saison) is happily churning through my wort at 70 F. My plan is to start ramping the temperature to ~85 F in three days and rack to a secondary in a week/when the krausen subsides.

My question is, do I keep the temp up at 85 F for the secondary as well?

I know I don't need to use a secondary, but a Saison must be clear!

Thanks.
“Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.”
- Kurt Vonnegut

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Saison fermentation question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 07:56:16 am »
3711 will reach the desired final gravity without raising the temperature to 85 F.  I would just keep it at 70 F.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 08:39:13 am »
Actually, I've found that I prefer that yeast fermented in the mid 60s
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 12:33:16 pm »
Actually, I've found that I prefer that yeast fermented in the mid 60s

+1
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 06:26:39 pm »
Another vote for keeping it cool.  70 F is fine.  I start mine about 65 F then let it free rise to room temp or slightly above.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 09:36:00 am »
Another vote for keeping it cool.  70 F is fine.  I start mine about 65 F then let it free rise to room temp or slightly above.

I don't think I can say 70F is fine for starting.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 10:18:43 am »
Honestly by day three 3711 is probably close to finished with fermentation and rising the temperature will have little to no effect. If you want to raise the temperature you need to start doing it now. You don't have to raise the temperature. That strain will do it's job at 70F.

I don't agree that a saison has to be clear. It shouldn't look like a murky IPA but it's common for a saison to have a little haze to it. That strain will drop out without needing a secondary. It's your beer and rack it to secondary if you want; it's just not necessary.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 08:20:02 pm »
As far as preferences go, why ferment this strain low and what characteristics does a lower ferment give? I ferment my saisons near the high end of the temperature range. I still ramp them up to like 85 at times.

If you want the beer clearer with 3711, just cold crash. Clarity is good to pour, so it doesn’t matter.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 01:24:53 pm »
As far as preferences go, why ferment this strain low and what characteristics does a lower ferment give? I ferment my saisons near the high end of the temperature range. I still ramp them up to like 85 at times.

If you want the beer clearer with 3711, just cold crash. Clarity is good to pour, so it doesn’t matter.

I think 3711 gives a lot more banana-like character if you run it too high. I start around 65F and let it ride.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 01:44:52 pm »

Fermenting low gives you less fruit and more phenolics, which is what I think a saison should be.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 12:13:05 pm »
Good to know. Probably explains a lot about my brews. The circles I roll with have always been like, 3711 can ferment high. So. Now i will try low. But I’ve also kinda moved on from that strain.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."