Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Not to Style  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Hersey

• Cellarman
Not to Style
« on: October 03, 2018, 11:30:53 am »
I have to admit, I don't always like brewing to style.  I actually like my PA's or IPA's to have a fair touch of fruity esters... I love apricot esters but it's not always possible to acquire for me.  Any suggestions on a particular yeast and fermentation temperature(s) to get what I'm looking for?  I'm not opposed to other flavors Except banana or apples...I just gag on those.  Lol!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Not to Style
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 11:36:07 am »
Great question.  Some of us pick up apricot and peach flavors when using Nottingham or US-05 ale yeasts at cold temperatures of 50-55 F.  Might be worth a try!

In any case... as a wise egotistical craft brewer from the World Wide Web once said...... "Brew the beer YOU want to drink."  And style conformists, be damned!

Cheers.   :D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 11:38:22 am »
Good for you! There is no need to brew to style. Style only serves as a language by which we communicate beer perception.

I used the Pub Ale yeast from Imperial and fermented a Best Bitter at 67 to 68 F and it was initially lightly fruity, but became more apricoty with age in the keg. I loved the apricot notes, but they might have been a bit much for that beer style. The hops used for the beer were all Brewers Gold.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 11:57:14 am »
WY1968/WLP002 are fruity, I think the Imperial Pub Martin recommends is the same strain (Fullers.)  I like WY1275 Thames Valley for a dry beer that's a bit fruity in a similar English way. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 02:22:06 pm »
Use Us-05 and you'll have plenty of peach.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 10:16:05 am »
When I want something specific I just add it into he last part of the boil. Just don’t over do it.

For yeast though, look into imperials A24 dry hop strain. Notes on that say. “Dry Hop is a blend of A20 Citrus and A04 Barbarian.  When this blend goes to work on your hoppy beer, the hop aroma blows up.  The combination of these strains produces amazing aromas of citrus, peach and apricot that will accentuate your IPA, pale ale, and any other hop driven beer.

Temp: 64-74F, 18-23C // Flocculation: Medium // Attenuation: 74-78%

This blend contains a strain that tests positive for the STA1 gene via PCR analysis and is therefore considered to be Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus.”
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."