Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tropical Stout  (Read 2435 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Tropical Stout
« on: October 01, 2018, 12:40:50 pm »
I thought I would share this recipe.  It was a really awesome brew that was very well received, and scored a 37 in competition recently.  Not happy with that score, but no worries.

1.070SG
1.019FG
6.7% ABV
5.6pH
1.55M 2308 at 60F 5days before Drest/cold condition

Water
Calcium - 63
Magnesium 6
Sodium 42
Sulfate 50
Chloride 60
Bicarbonate 168
RA 90
SO4/Cl 0.83

57.6%  M.O.
8.0%    Flaked Oats
6.4%    Caramunich II
6.4%    Honey Malt
4.8%    Chocolate (500)
4.8%    Munich (9)
3.2%    Crystal Extra Dark (127)
2.4%    Roasted (600)
6.4%    Muscovado (Full Boil)

30.6 IBU  Centennial @ 60
8.2 IBU    Centennial @ 15
4.6 IBU    Willamette @ 4

Notes from Judges (very happy with the detail they gave me)
Aroma - Sweet Maltiness, restrained roastiness, low hop aroma, low fruitiness, no off aromas, Perceivable raisin aroma, malt aroma in nutty and slightly coffee, no discernable hop aroma

Appearance - Dark Brown/Dark Ruby, Almost opaque, high head retention with persistent long lasting creamy tan foam

Flavor - Malt flavor is sweet but with a touch of burn character, nice almost sweet alcohol finish, but not a lot of roast flavor, no hop flavor, finish is slightly bitter, balance toward malt that finishes dry

Mouthfeel - Medium Full Body slight warmth, very creamy, not astringent

Overall Impression - Very good beer, but seems to be lacking a strong roasty flavor considering increasing roasted grains or flavors in the grain bill. Very Good.

Overall I think the high pH really masked the roasted perception, I was going for an extremely drinkable beer even though it was going to finish high.  I will say as it ended at 1.019, 1 point above style guide, I really thought the impression was sweetened espresso with a coffee, chocolate, and raisin aroma.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
Re: Tropical Stout
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 02:09:29 pm »
Seems like a lot of different specialty malts. Maybe try using fewer next time?

Also, the notes you got back on this beer seem kind of odd. I thought that tropical stouts were not supposed to be overtly roasty, and kind of like Baltic porter they're supposed to be made with dehusked roasted malts?

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 01:26:44 pm »
The last tropical stout I made was the following.

72% maris otter
6% flaked oats
12% chocolate
3% black patent
6% lactose

EKG @ 60
EKG @ 20
Fuggels @10 and 5

I thought it was pretty good. Got first place with it in my brew clubs brew your best. Mine was also 8% but you couldn’t tell. I would cut back on the patent next time. My chocolate took a while to mellow out.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 07:33:10 am »

Also, the notes you got back on this beer seem kind of odd. I thought that tropical stouts were not supposed to be overtly roasty, and kind of like Baltic porter they're supposed to be made with dehusked roasted malts?

I agree.  They are not supposed to be roasty at all.  I think fruity is a better word.  I once entered a Tropical into a local home brew competition.  The note I included with the samples was that I fermented it using a Lager yeast for cleaner malt flavor and crisper mouthfeel.  The beer didn’t score well and the judge’s note was: “it was too clean and too crisp”.  Point being, if the person judging your beer is not familiar with the style, their opinion is moot and your submission was waisted.

All that said, your recipe looks like a winner to me!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:52:06 am »

No, it is specifically sweet fruity strong beer with smooth roasty flavors without a burnt harshness. And I quote - Roasted grain and the malt character can be moderate to high with a smooth offee or chocolate flavor, although the roast character is moderated in the balance by the sweet finish.

As for fewer malts, I also disagree.  Toasty sweet aromas, honey like sweetness, and specialty sugars from the region are all parts to the overall balance to the chocolate and roasted flavors.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 04:43:17 pm »
Except he didn't ask for advice.  He posted a recipe to share with some tasting notes.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 08:21:49 am »
Looks tasty Jacob, what mash temp did you use?  Any grains you would add/remove next time?  I'm formulating a tropical stout recipe now and will likely brew next weekend.  I'm mostly stuck on roast additions.  Right now I have about 3% each of Carafa II and Chocolate Wheat.