Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Been busy.  (Read 919 times)

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Been busy.
« on: October 01, 2018, 08:12:21 pm »
I’ve been working an environmental science camp and haven’t had time to do anything beer related, besides xferring a carboy to keg in a few months.

What I miss? I need to jump back in and brew something (hopefully Friday) but this hurricane Rosa on the west coast was supposed to precipitate 3 days.

In other news. The beer I did xfer is a west coast IPA at around 8.3% mashed low, super dank with 2ml of hop oils.
I think those oils affect the beer in some way, such as on the overall palletability. Beer is not as dry as I would have thought. Mashed around 147*

Anyways. Looking to turn into a monk and brew a monastery beer Friday if the beer gods allow.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Been busy.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 06:00:14 am »
Get back at it.

Your point about the hop oil addition and the loss of dryness strikes home with me. I have some friends that are trying to perfect a Euro IPA and they used a bunch of Mandarina dry hops and found that the beer actually seemed 'sweet', even though they had socked 80+ IBU into those beers. Some hops do impart sweetness and I expect that some hop oils could too.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 12:03:25 pm »
Get back at it.

Your point about the hop oil addition and the loss of dryness strikes home with me. I have some friends that are trying to perfect a Euro IPA and they used a bunch of Mandarina dry hops and found that the beer actually seemed 'sweet', even though they had socked 80+ IBU into those beers. Some hops do impart sweetness and I expect that some hop oils could too.

Ohh that’s legit. Mine was supposed to be 90ibu, but is also pretty sweet. I would say the bitterness is still there, lingering, but I was thinking the mouth would not be he way it is.

Note to self.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 10:59:54 pm »
Some how hat beer won first place tonight.