Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxidization  (Read 6089 times)

Big Monk

Re: Oxidization
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2018, 08:25:55 am »
I'm just not at that part of my "brewing career" that I want to worry about HSA. I'm not saying I splash the hell out of my wort. I take measures to ensure my recirc tube is below the mash level and small stuff like that. But, beyond that - I just can't see complicating my brew day. The beer that I brew, keg, and enjoy is just too delicious to justify complicating it at this time. Could it be better if I watch my HSA? I don't know, maybe. But I've spent time on changes like building water from distilled and controlling fermentation temperatures to within 1 degree. These 2 changes alone have greatly improved the quality of my beer but I also recognized that I needed to make those changes due to inconsistency from batch to batch. As of right now I'm not picking up on anything that makes me want to start worrying about HSA.

I also only brew 2.5g batches. It's possible this whole HSA thing is more concerning at larger scales. I don't know. Not an expert on this.

Honestly, that's right where you should be. If you like the beer you make, why change it? If you are looking for improvement, then you can investigate other techniques.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Oxidization
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2018, 09:03:01 am »
Actually I think it has more potential impact on smaller scales, because of increased surface area to volume among other things maybe.   But its impact is certainly dependent on style, that is ingredients, the rest of the process, desired outcomes and so on.  So yeah, if the beer you brew suggests you don't need to worry about it,  you should probably listen to your beer.  Cheers.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.