Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Loki  (Read 3171 times)

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Imperial Loki
« on: October 04, 2018, 04:35:53 pm »
Does anyone have experience with this strain? I plan to pick some up, hopefully Friday for a brew next week. I am wondering about the 35* temp range the fermentation of the beer has.
Imperial says “A traditional Norwegian strain that has an extremely wide fermentation temperature range. This strain has been traditionally used in farmhouse style beers however, due to it’s fermentation temp range can be used in a variety of beers from pseudo lagers, Belgian inspired and hop forward beers. On the cool end of the range Loki is super clean; producing little to no esters and phenols. As things warm up, it tends to produce a huge fruit ester profile.
Temp: 65-100F, 16-37C // Flocculation: Med-High // Attenuation: 75-85%”
Personally I am probably more into the funky aspect than the pseudo lager. Also if anyone has a grain build to share I could use some considerations. I was thinking just Pilsner and wheat. But who knows.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Imperial Loki
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 08:52:47 pm »
Our club is doing some experiments going forward, so there should be some data points forthcoming - my guess is that this is one of the Kviek’s - Voss or Hornindal, etc... strains.  If so, then some inference can be drawn from Omega, which started with Hot Head and added some of the others to its lineup.  I assume it would work for your Pilsner and wheat beer.  I have used the Hot Head in a similar base malt arrangement for an ale. And it turned out eminently drinkable.  Also one club member made a barley wine that he fermented with a sous vide heater and turned it around in about 2 weeks, drinking in the third week.  I sampled it and while inherently a tad green for a barley wine, it was remarkably free of phenols or fusels, but with a fair amount of esters.  Good luck and report back you thoughts.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:54:21 pm by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 08:22:06 am »
I've been brewing pretty much exclusively with Omega yeasts Norwegian strains, mostly the Hornindal. I've been fermenting at room temp, which that part of my house stays pretty consistently at 72. I get some really nice yeast character, different from what a Belgian produces in my opinion. I haven't tried to produce a pilsner type beer, but I'm kind of skeptical on that end. From what I've read, pitch rate is a big factor for this strain although I haven't had a chance to play around with it. I just got my 7 gallon Brewbucket, so my 3.5's are freed up to play with. They tend to ferment fairly quickly in my experience.

Morebeer is stocking Omega now, which I'm pretty pumped about. They always seemed to be "available not available" from their retailers.

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 02:53:45 pm »
Seems to be generally assumed that Loki is one of the strains from Sigmund's Voss multistrain - whether it's identical to the Omega or Yeast Bay versions is another matter but reading about those should be a good starting point.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 05:35:52 pm »
Seems to be generally assumed that Loki is one of the strains from Sigmund's Voss multistrain - whether it's identical to the Omega or Yeast Bay versions is another matter but reading about those should be a good starting point.
Mines been cold crashed about a week. I’m too lazy and depressed to xfer to keg. Can’t wait though.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."