Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Automated Brewing  (Read 4767 times)

Offline Hersey

• Cellarman
Automated Brewing
« on: October 03, 2018, 11:39:07 am »
I work a lot and time is difficult to manage just to get a brew session in.  I'm tossing around the idea of buying an automated brew kit.  I've been looking at the Grainfather and the Robobrew, I'm sure there are others out there.  I'm looking for opinions before I pull the trigger on one, if I do.  I certainly like the idea of having it go through the paces for me while I tend to other chores around home and our livestock.

Any ad all input is appreciated!

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: Automated Brewing
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 02:01:35 pm »
I think you might save some time but you are still doing the same things. Still have to heat water, still mashing, still boiling, still crashing the beer. I think automation can be nice and exact but I don’t really see it as a time saver, imo.
If you really wanted to save time you could mash for 30 minutes and boil for 15.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 02:10:24 pm »
I have both a Grainfather and a Zymatic.  I like the Grainfather a lot, but for automated, hands off brewing the Zymatic is the clear winner.  I use each depending on the circumstances and how much work I feel like doing.  Based on your description, I think the Zymatic is closer to what you're looking for.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hersey

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 02:31:26 pm »
I'm gonna look for the enzymatic online, see what it is etc.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 02:39:22 pm »
I'm gonna look for the enzymatic online, see what it is etc.

It's the Zymatic from Picobrew.  It's being replaced by the PIco Z....same theory, improved design.  https://picobrew.com/

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 02:46:50 pm »
Is this the one that’s had some bad press on another forum Denny?  Something about (after getting the customer’s money), not shipping in a timely manner, not communicating responsively, etc.  They may be going thru a rough patch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 03:06:40 pm »
I have a Grainfather. I love it. I like that I can brew 3 or 5 gallon batches. I like the recirculating mash. I like automated step mashes. I like that it is mash and boil in one system. I like that it’s shiny and new (I admit it.)

However, I agree with above. Automation is limited with GF. It heats your water. It manages your mash. It can do a step mash for you. The rest of brew day requires your participation.

While it heats my water, I measure and add water salts and lactic acid. I also measure and crush grains. Usually, when I finish these things it is time to add the grain.

During mash, I get the sparge water heating. Then I mostly sit around.

After mash you sparge. That it is easy, but, you manually pour water into the raised basket.

During the boil, I measure hops and add those (along with other boil additions). I connect the chiller and sanitize it. I clean and sanitize my fermenter. Easy stuff, but, that stuff keeps me around for most of the boil.

After the boil, I start the chiller and hang out a few minutes (not too long) until it is time to transfer to the fermenter. After the transfer is complete, it is time to clean.

Cleaning is fairly easy with GF. First, I dump and clean with a sponge and water to get the big debris out. Next, I heat cleaning solution (oxidizing cleaner+water) then recirculate through the pump and two attachments (chiller and mash recirculation arm).  Next, I rinse everything with cold water. After that quick rinse, I fill with clean water and heat. I pump the hot water through the two attachments to rinse those. Next, I dump the water and blow out the CFC with a compressor.

Finally, I put everything thing away.

So, not automated. But, I want to be involved. Brewing and and even cleaning is an escape for me. It’s a chance to relax. During the latter steps, I also drink beer. That’s also part of the fun.

I think brewing with GF is a bit slower than just BIAB in pot without a pump. That’s because cleaning the pump and it’s hoses adds cleaning time. That’s okay by me, but, it doesn’t make your brew day faster.

I am intrigued by PicoBrew and the Brewie. But, you still have to set up (get out the brewing system and other equipment, mill grain, measure water and other ingredients).  You get to walk away during the middle part of the process (mash and boil) which is 2-3 hours. You have to come back to chill, transfer to the fermenter (optional), clean up, and put everything away.  So, those systems are automated, but, you still have to work. They are not Keurig of beer.  They are more like bread makers.

PS. Brewie may automate a bit more than PicoBrew, but, it has a bad reputation from reading forums.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 03:08:08 pm »
Is this the one that’s had some bad press on another forum Denny?  Something about (after getting the customer’s money), not shipping in a timely manner, not communicating responsively, etc.  They may be going thru a rough patch.

I think that's the Brewie...at least, it fits the description.  They've been working on it and taking money for it for years and most people haven't seen what they paid for yet.  The few that have shipped have had major problems, according to their Facebook page.  Picobrew has been making reliable product and shipping for years.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 03:11:17 pm »
I have a Grainfather. I love it. I like that I can brew 3 or 5 gallon batches. I like the recirculating mash. I like automated step mashes. I like that it is mash and boil in one system. I like that it’s shiny and new (I admit it.)

However, I agree with above. Automation is limited with GF. It heats your water. It manages your mash. It can do a step mash for you. The rest of brew day requires your participation.

While it heats my water, I measure and add water salts and lactic acid. I also measure and crush grains. Usually, when I finish these things it is time to add the grain.

After mash you sparge. That it is easy, but, you manually pour water into the raised basket.

During the boil, I measure hops and add those (along with other boil additions). I connect the chiller and sanitize it. I clean and sanitize my fermenter. Easy stuff, but, that stuff keeps me around for most of the boil.

After the boil, I start the chiller and hang out a few minutes (not too long) until it is time to transfer to the fermenter. After the transfer is complete, it is time to clean.

Cleaning is fairly easy with GF. First, I dump and clean with a sponge and water to get the big debris out. Next, I heat cleaning solution (oxidizing cleaner+water) then recirculate through the pump and two attachments (chiller and mash recirculation arm).  Next, I rinse everything with cold water. After that quick rinse, I fill with clean water and heat. I pump the hot water through the two attachments to rinse those. Next, I dump the water and blow out the CFC with a compressor.

So, not automated. But, I want to be involved. Brewing and and even cleaning is an escape for me. It’s a chance to relax. During the latter steps, I also drink beer. That’s also part of the fun.

I think brewing with GF is a bit slower than just BIAB in pot without a pump. That’s because cleaning the pump and it’s hoses adds cleaning time. That’s okay by me, but, it doesn’t make your brew day faster.

I am intrigued by PicoBrew and the Brewie. But, you still have to set up (get out the brewing system and other equipment, mill grain, measure water and other ingredients).  You get to walk away during the middle part of the process (mash and boil) which is 2-3 hours. You have to come back to chill, transfer to the fermenter (optional), clean up, and put everything away.  So, those systems are automated, but, you still have to work. They are not Keurig of beer.  They are more like bread makers.

PS. Brewie may automate a bit more than PicoBrew, but, it has a bad reputation from reading forums.

FWIW, the Brewie is no more automated than the Zymatic.  And in terms of "getting it out and setting it up", it take only a minute or 2 since they're all in one systems.  One advantage of the Zymatic over the Brewie is that it's smaller and many people leave them permanently set up on a cart or countertop.  There's a chapter in our next book about automated brewing, so I've been following various systems for the last few years.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

Automated Brewing
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 03:14:11 pm »

I think that's the Brewie...at least, it fits the description.  They've been working on it and taking money for it for years and most people haven't seen what they paid for yet.  The few that have shipped have had major problems, according to their Facebook page.  Picobrew has been making reliable product and shipping for years.

Ah. Not in the market, I get them mixed up.

Edit: it’s the Picobrew Z2 folks are upset about -- they originally promised to start deliveries in July, but it's now looking like sometime next year at best.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 05:01:51 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 03:23:21 pm »

FWIW, the Brewie is no more automated than the Zymatic.  And in terms of "getting it out and setting it up", it take only a minute or 2 since they're all in one systems.  One advantage of the Zymatic over the Brewie is that it's smaller and many people leave them permanently set up on a cart or countertop.  There's a chapter in our next book about automated brewing, so I've been following various systems for the last few years.
I don’t disagree with you. Setup (as with any system) also includes measuring/crushing grains and measuring hops, salts, water, etc. That stuff is easy. But, it takes time.

Now Pico on the other hand automates even those steps.  I guess that is the Keurig of beer.

The Beerery

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 03:23:35 pm »
Automated you say?  8)

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 03:36:10 pm »
I honestly think with my old-school system -- direct fired M/BK and HLT and round cooler LT with FB, short, gravity runoff tube and pail for a grant -- no pumps, no valves, no hoses, practically no setup and everything cleans up with a spray hose and a sponge in just minutes -- I couldn't possibly improve on time saving.  Can't see the point in a system that doesn't completely automate everything down to adding ingredients, but does add setup and cleanup time.  And I want the hands on experience anyway.  Sometimes the simplest thing is, well, simplest.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 03:39:25 pm »
I honestly think with my old-school system -- direct fired M/BK and HLT and round cooler LT with FB, short, gravity runoff tube and pail for a grant -- no pumps, no valves, no hoses, practically no setup and everything cleans up with a spray hose and a sponge in just minutes -- I couldn't possibly improve on time saving.  Can't see the point in a system that doesn't completely automate everything down to adding ingredients, but does add setup and cleanup time.  And I want the hands on experience anyway.  Sometimes the simplest thing is, well, simplest.
But, my Grainfather is shiny and new and I am sure it makes someone jealous.

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 03:40:28 pm »
Automated you say?  8)
Yeah, if you want automated go Bryan's way or go home. Otherwise you've just got a Rube Goldberg version of my rig!  8)

(That's making midsize breweries jealous. )
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.