Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First all grain brew  (Read 2872 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: First all grain brew
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 09:49:02 am »
When I was getting started I believed I couldn't brew all grain unless I built a manifold and a sprinkler for fly sparging. But I found out about batch sparge and went that route. Now I just dont even sparge at all. I still use a mash tun because I have one, but a bag is cheaper. I firmly believe that no sparge produces wort that is as good quality if not better than sparged. It makes for a quicker brew day. It's as easy if not easier to figure out calculations (water amounts, salts, ph, gravity etc). The cost is just a little more grain. But that's easily covered by less equipment and time... frankly it's an unnecessary hobby and I believe cost is a poor argument.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 12:41:33 pm »
Here is a quote from George Fix ( http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/977.html#977-3 ) “I have found that to get a very high malt flavor the sparge must be omitted as well.  This is an expensive way to brew since the amount of grains needed must be increased by a factor ~4/3. Nevertheless, some of the world's great ales and lagers have been brewed this way, and I have found it works in homebrewing as well for special beers. Clearly this is not the way to brew our standard beers.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 01:10:40 pm »
^^^^
I haven't seen it for a while, don't know what happened to it.  But there was a "premium" type international pale lager, Kirin Ichiban, that Kirin made by a no-sparge method.  It might not have been the most memorable of beers (it was produced under license in the US by AB, I think, and may have lost something in translation,) maybe not the kind of thing you would expect to  be made this way, but I found it interesting that a big brewer would decide it was worth the expense.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 03:53:58 pm »
^^^^
I haven't seen it for a while, don't know what happened to it.  But there was a "premium" type international pale lager, Kirin Ichiban, that Kirin made by a no-sparge method.  It might not have been the most memorable of beers (it was produced under license in the US by AB, I think, and may have lost something in translation,) maybe not the kind of thing you would expect to  be made this way, but I found it interesting that a big brewer would decide it was worth the expense.
Probably used the second running to make Bud Light